Question FPS not consistent

Nov 23, 2020
So I have this problem where my fps just randomly goes from high to low and vice versa. I have Intel i5 9400F CPU and GTX 1060 graphics card. For example in League of Legends my FPS would be locked at 200 and then drop to something like 120 and then go back to 200 again and that repeats whole game non stop. I want to mention that this started to happen after my PC fell on its side, but after that I ran every benchmark test and checked temperatures and everything seems fine. But one thing I noticed is that sometimes when I play one of the fans starts to produce weird noises but then after few seconds it becomes normal. I doubt it the fan is causing it because temperatures are more than fine even after intense use. I dont know what to do and what is causing it. My PC is fully functional but obviously something is wrong and is causing this problem so any help would be appreciated..

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
I would start by checking all physical connections inside the system, reseating everything. Then monitor thermals and loads in whatever stress test suits your fancy.

Before reading about the dropping/falling over incident I was inclined to think it was either your CPU bottlenecking due to a background process or thermal throttling. But it could still be the case that you have disturbed the seating of your CPU/GPU.

CPU's can actually be shocked and internally damaged from blunt force trauma, but I doubt falling over in it's enclosure would be enough for that to happen. Though I think it's far more likely that it's throttling.

Nov 23, 2020
I would start by checking all physical connections inside the system, reseating everything. Then monitor thermals and loads in whatever stress test suits your fancy.

Before reading about the dropping/falling over incident I was inclined to think it was either your CPU bottlenecking due to a background process or thermal throttling. But it could still be the case that you have disturbed the seating of your CPU/GPU.

CPU's can actually be shocked and internally damaged from blunt force trauma, but I doubt falling over in it's enclosure would be enough for that to happen. Though I think it's far more likely that it's throttling.
Is there any way to be sure if it is GPU or CPU which is causing this problem, because after I ran benchmarks and other stress tests , both GPU and CPU showed perfectly good scores, and temepratures on both are fine.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Is there any way to be sure if it is GPU or CPU which is causing this problem, because after I ran benchmarks and other stress tests , both GPU and CPU showed perfectly good scores, and temepratures on both are fine.

Have you monitored it during the FPS drops ? If neither the CPU/GPU load/thermals reflects that change during the spike, then it might be something more sinister or obscure. Something I don't currently have an answer for.

I thought for a second that the weird fan noise could be indicative of the fans ramping up due to some thermal issue, but as you say, the thermals are fine. Sorry I don't have much else that would help.