FPS Not Smooth

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014
Hi everyone ! So here is my problem, when i play games, my FPS are high (some game FPS go up to 250), but they do not feel like it. What i mean is that i get some freeze or dip (i really dont know what it is) sometimes. So if i play overwatch, i will get some small freeze like if my FPS are dropping down for just a very short moment and then go up (it can occur a lot in some game like Fortnite or overwatch). The only game that seems better is BF1 but still i get some ...

All drivers are up to date and i just reinstalled Win 10 Pro ...

Config :
- Rx480 8G
- I5 7600k (OC to 4.5 by Asus motherboard)
- 16g RAM HyperX Fury (2133)
- Asus z270 Prime A
- Rosewill 850 W

I dont know what to do. Thanks to everyone trying ot help !

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
sounds like your 99th percentiles are crap. you can get a high frame rate but when a few of those frames take to long to deliver it can turn a smooth gaming experience into a choppy nightmare. I am not suprised that is happening in BF1, assuming it is in multiplayer when it happens. BF1 in multiplayer can chew through 8+ threads and you only have 4. Yet it seems like the lesser offender and games like fortnite and overwatch are far less threaded (fortnite can chew threw 6-8 threads but only heavily relies on up to 4). Even a good hyper-threaded dual core CPU can handle those games.

So what kind of disk are your games saved too (ssd,hdd)? If hdd that may be an issue. Also what are your ram CL rated at and set to?

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
you may need a software to prioritize your cores for gaming. you can do the following :
* open task manager. right click on your game's exe file. go to details. right click on the same file again. set priority. high.
* since you have asus. you can use the gamefirst software or the turboapp function in your ai suite.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
^this was were I was planning to go if you are using an SSD and your Ram CL was nice and tight. So LMK if you are on an ssd and have your timings set properly for you ram. Once those are ruled out core priority is differently the next step in trying to speed things up in the 99th percentile frames.

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014

Im using an SSD and i have an Acer 60 Hz 1920-1080 screen (a very basic one) and my second one is an old samsung syncmaster 2243 but it's only for music and stream when im playing AFK type of game. So i use Vsync on my main screen and my RAM is set to 2133 but honestly i dont know what is CL im really new to PC and i only know the base of it.so if you could just tell me how to go see it or change it it would be very nice haha ! And for my I5, are you really sure it's that bad ? i mean honestly a lot of people have an I5 and are more than fine running these games + BF1 is not a big problem so this make no sense :eek:

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014

Setting the priority to high didnt fix it .. i still get some random screen freeze at some moment but is that a normal thing that my processor speed is going up and down from 2.5 to 4.5 ? maybe its super normal and im just dumb haha !

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
did you u run 5way optimization in Ai suite to do the overclock for you? is that what you meant by "OC by Asus board"?
can u remember how what settings u used when doing the 5way? can u describe to us your vcore settings? did you manually change anything after the 5way was done?

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

i5 4c/4t CPUs are not great for gaming anymore they are only entry level for gaming these days. Just do a google for i5 bottleneck BF1...or just i5 bottleneck games. Games like GTA V, BF1, Witcher 3, The division, Rise of the tomb raider, Ghost Recon Wildlands...are all very well threaded games and can hobble 4C/4T CPUs like older i5s.

As for your ram Cl. You need to use CPU-z or boot into bios to see what they are set at. I'd get CPU-z as it will tell you what CL and speeds you ram is capable of which is nice if your not sure. That said you actually need to set ram timings in your bios. Hold the delete key after you turn on your PC (like the very first thin you do after hitting the power button) until the Bios page shows. From there just find your ram cl and speed settings and correct if need the timings.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014

https://gyazo.com/8550535a4686dccdb59b7addd4cbb64c

https://gyazo.com/75b6212386f0362337d2ec06d57c3c2a

This is my CPU-Z info of memory and my i5 Info, i thiink everything is fine (processor core speed go up and down but i think you guys said its fine)anyway, maybe you can tell me more since i do not know a lot, i use 2133 Hyperx Fury for my RAM

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014

Will do that for you tonight ! And btw i clocked down my I5 from 4500 to 4200 and i THINK, im really not sure but i think it helped a bit so i dont know if it can help you. I didnt try a lot but gonna give you more info later ! Thanks

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
well your ram looks to be set fine. Your using the lowest CL rating your ram supports. One thing you may try is setting the cmd rate from 2T to 1T in bios. Your pc may not work/boot with the lower 1T rating but if it does it gives your ram speed a little kick in the pants while decreasing latency when accessing your ram. If setting your ram to 1T doesn't work you may need to reset your bios to reset you cmd rate to 2T...but you may not some mother boards will default the settings if your PC won't boot after attempting to boot a few times. Just be aware that is mobo dependent.. Regardless even if you do need to run the 2T setting your ram doesn't have any timings set why off that should cause the issues your describing. So we need to look at other aspects of your PC. You could try updating your bios and see if that helps your situation.

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014

I just did update my BIOS 2 day before i posted that (after reinstalling windows) ... And honestly its getting worst ... now when i play Overwatch without vsync i get 120 FPS (doesnt feel like it at all haha) and with Vsync i get 52-55 ... even after downclocking my processor to 4.2 ...im really thinking about just giving up but man i just bought this PC 6 month ago i want it to work

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

Okay well first of all you have no reason to let your card dish out 250fps on a 60Hz monitor. If vsync isn't smooth then I would download Riva (RTSS) and use the frame limiter. Set it to 60. Turn off vsync. See if that works better.

Also, stop streaming other stuff while you're gaming and see if that helps. You may be overwhelming your CPU. Finally, I have seen no discussion here about GPU temps. Are you monitoring them in game, and how high are they getting?

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014

Im never letting my FPS go over 60 normally i always activate Limit FPS to data base or Vsync (i just wanted to point out that im not having low FPS)

Even playing with only Overwatch or Fortnite open doesnt help.

My GPU temps never go higher than 65 (fan start running at 60) and as i remember 65 is ok ?

I tried setting my FPS to 60 with AMD Radeon software but it was worst ... so will Riva be different ?

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

65º is fine. I don't know for sure if Riva will work better, but since it's a free download and a small program, why not give it a shot?

Also, I have an i5 CPU as well and if I do any sort of streaming while gaming my games get choppy. Try both of my suggestions as they are simple and will only take a minute.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014
Euh alright will try ! But what do you mean by streaming ? Yesterday i tried gaming without any other thing running and then i tried with 5-6 chrome
Pages and youtube running, it dropped just a little bit with youtube opened but honestly i was able to run youtube with any game before this issue :/ but maybe im missunderstanding « streaming » since english isnt my first language

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

Steaming means having a steady data flow coming into your computer, like when watching videos and movies, or listening to music. The data flow doesn't stop, just like water in a stream (a small river).

Regular web pages (like this one) only download data until the page is finished loading, then the data stops until you go to a new page.

Senpho

Honorable
Apr 29, 2014

Alright ! So i can confirm you that i NEVER play with any streaming pages so it's not my problem, and it's very intense you know, even on Very low in fortnite (with only high in render distance) i get some stuttering or freeze (idk exactly) so i think it's more ... and riva didnt work

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

Sorry to hear that it didn't work. I don't have anymore solutions to offer you. You may want to contact AMD support and see if they have any ideas. Good luck to you!