[SOLVED] FPS not stable

Jul 25, 2021
Hi everyone! I'm new to PC gaming and want to ask some questions. whenever I play games sometimes my fps is not stable especially open-world games (tested on: Cyberpunk2077, AC odyssey, Red Dead Redemption 2, GR: Wildlands. etc)
here are my specs:
MAXSUN Ms-Challenger B350M
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4Ghz
GEIL DDR4 2666MHz Dual Channel 16GB
MSI GeForce RTX 2070
and currently running on 1080p 75hz monitor.

so, I've been asking this question on the internet but the results are varied some says it's my RAM that is not fast enough (need at least 3000mhz), some says it's my processor, and some say it's my monitor (must try it on 120hz monitor see if it stable or not).
I'm thinking of upgrading one of my hardware but I don't know which one first. due to limited budget so i have to upgrade it one at a time. Can everyone tell me which one i supposed to upgrade first? thanks!

Solution
Run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results.

V-Sync can cause big FPS swings. With 75Hz and V-Sync on it tries to fix the FPS to 75. However if the system can’t put out 75fps it will drop to 1/2 the FPS. Is the FPS stable when not using V-Sync?

Going from 2666mhz to 3000mhz is at best a very small increase in performance and with a 2000 series Ryzen you may not get higher than 3000mhz, some seem to struggle going over 2933/3000mhz.

V-Sync can cause big FPS swings. With 75Hz and V-Sync on it tries to fix the FPS to 75. However if the system can’t put out 75fps it will drop to 1/2 the FPS. Is the FPS stable when not using V-Sync?

Going from 2666mhz to 3000mhz is at best a very small increase in performance and with a 2000 series Ryzen you may not get higher than 3000mhz, some seem to struggle going over 2933/3000mhz.

Last edited:
Reactions: chaoyang
Solution
Jul 25, 2021

it's quite stable when V-Sync off but in certain areas like in the city(not crowded) on GTA V it drops from 110s to 80s-90s
I'm thinking of upgrading it to Ryzen 5 5600x is it any good?

AlexianaBritmonkey

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017
it's quite stable when V-Sync off but in certain areas like in the city(not crowded) on GTA V it drops from 110s to 80s-90s
I'm sorry if this upsets you, but that sounds pretty normal and reasonable.

Expecting skyhigh and rocksolid FPS just because you have a GPU that's more powerful than the top of what they had "back then" is really unrealistic, and absolutely not how the code works. Open world games are particularly important in this.

The Ryzen 2600 may be your bottleneck, but there is no telling yet. Beyond some point, the bottleneck actually becomes the game itself.

Jul 25, 2021
I'm sorry if this upsets you, but that sounds pretty normal and reasonable.

Expecting skyhigh and rocksolid FPS just because you have a GPU that's more powerful than the top of what they had "back then" is really unrealistic, and absolutely not how the code works. Open world games are particularly important in this.

The Ryzen 2600 may be your bottleneck, but there is no telling yet. Beyond some point, the bottleneck actually becomes the game itself.
I've been told that my 2600 causes the bottleneck, maybe I should buy a new processor or monitor 1st. it will be complete someday, I hope. anyway, thanks for the tips!

Jul 25, 2021
If you continue to use v-sync I don’t see how a higher Hz monitor will help. However G-Sync would allow you to run without V-Sync and still have no tearing.
so let's say I've upgraded my processor and ram to what I've mentioned before and still using my old 1080p 75hz does it make any difference?