[SOLVED] FPS optimization for my build

Feb 9, 2021
I recently built my first PC and I feel as if I'm struggling to get the performance that I should have, maybe I am wrong. I mostly play Call of Duty Warzone and on Normal to High settings I usually stay at around 100 FPS on 1440p. My drivers are all updated, ray tracing is off, and CPU is slightly overclocked from 3600MHz to 4000MHz. My build is as follows:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
RAM: 2 x 16gb
Motherboard: Mag b550 Tomahawk
Monitor: XZ270U P (1440p, 165Hz)
GPU: Aorus Mater RTX 3070

Just looking for any and all advice as again, I am newer to the PC scene and not very familiar with all the ins and outs. CPU usage on Warzone peaks at around the mid 60% range. Just looking to optimize FPS without having to suffer graphically. Thanks!

Solution
Umm, that's not an overclock for a 3700X. It can hit that or a little higher, on its own if your cooling is good enough...
Besides, you shouldn't really manually OC Ryzen 3000, because not everything takes advantage of multi thread performance.

Ram: 3200 CL14 - 3600 CL16.
Does your ram fall into that range? Did you forget to activate A-XMP?

Is the game installed on an SSD?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDGWijdBDvM

It can hang with a 10600K, and that cpu is by no means slow.

The video displays results for COD Modern Warfare; I would imagine that the high player counts, far draw distances and large number of objects in Warzone put more stress on the CPU than Modern Warfare does.
What do you mean by "optimize"? If it's to get higher average frame rate, then you have to either overclock your GPU or upgrade since it's likely at or near 100% utilization, assuming the game isn't hitting a single thread performance limit. If it's to prevent frame rate hiccups, that's another can of worms.

I recently built my first PC and I feel as if I'm struggling to get the performance that I should have, maybe I am wrong. I mostly play Call of Duty Warzone and on Normal to High settings I usually stay at around 100 FPS on 1440p. My drivers are all updated, ray tracing is off, and CPU is slightly overclocked from 3600MHz to 4000MHz. My build is as follows:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
RAM: 2 x 16gb
Motherboard: Mag b550 Tomahawk
Monitor: XZ270U P (1440p, 165Hz)
GPU: Aorus Mater RTX 3070

Just looking for any and all advice as again, I am newer to the PC scene and not very familiar with all the ins and outs. CPU usage on Warzone peaks at around the mid 60% range. Just looking to optimize FPS without having to suffer graphically. Thanks!

Stock, the Ryzen 3700x is capable of a single core boost clock of 4.4 GHz. By 'overclocking' all your cores to 4.0 GHz you are preventing your CPU from ever hitting 4.4 GHz on a single core.

I doubt if you'll be able to hit much higher fps than what you're seeing right now; all Ryzen 3000 series CPUs suffer from internal limitations that result in relatively low boost clocks (4.0 GHz is low for a boost clock), low instructions per clock, and high latency. As a result, 80-100 fps is usually the highest fps I see owners of Ryzen 3000-series CPU owners getting for COD warzone regardless of what GPU they are using.

And before you insist that you aren't CPU bottlenecked because you're at only 60% utilization, 60% is just your overall utilization; only one of your 8 cores needs to be fully maxed out for you to be CPU bottlenecked.

The Ryzen 3700x is a decent all-around gaming CPU due to its attractive price point for the number of cores and threads it brings to the table, but it is by no means good at high refresh rate gaming. If high fps is what you want, you need a Ryzen 5000 series CPU (which was expressly designed with high refresh rates gaming in mind).

Also, no amount of GPU tweaking is going to increase your fps because your GPU is not the problem here. Lowering graphical settings will also simply decrease the load on your GPU and result in the same CPU-limited framerate.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
CPU is slightly overclocked from 3600MHz to 4000MHz.
Umm, that's not an overclock for a 3700X. It can hit that or a little higher, on its own if your cooling is good enough...
Besides, you shouldn't really manually OC Ryzen 3000, because not everything takes advantage of multi thread performance.

Stock, the Ryzen 3700x is capable of a single core boost clock of 4.4 GHz. By 'overclocking' all your cores to 4.0 GHz you are preventing your CPU from ever hitting 4.4 GHz on a single core.

I doubt if you'll be able to hit much higher fps than what you're seeing right now; all Ryzen 3000 series CPUs suffer from internal limitations that result in relatively low boost clocks (4.0 GHz is low for a boost clock), low instructions per clock, and high latency. As a result, 80-100 fps is usually the highest fps I see owners of Ryzen 3000-series CPU owners getting for COD warzone regardless of what GPU they are using.

And before you insist that you aren't CPU bottlenecked because you're at only 60% utilization, 60% is just your overall utilization; only one of your 8 cores needs to be fully maxed out for you to be CPU bottlenecked.

The Ryzen 3700x is a decent all-around gaming CPU due to its attractive price point for the number of cores and threads it brings to the table, but it is by no means good at high refresh rate gaming. If high fps is what you want, you need a Ryzen 5000 series CPU (which was expressly designed with high refresh rates gaming in mind).

Also, no amount of GPU tweaking is going to increase your fps because your GPU is not the problem here. Lowering graphical settings will also simply decrease the load on your GPU and result in the same CPU-limited framerate.

Feb 9, 2021
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x16GB DDR4 3200 (I just activated A-XPM...) it may have been activated but i did a bios update
Game is installed on Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1TB SSD
Cooling shouldn't be an issue, using the Coolermaster TD500 case with the 3 stock front fans and then I have an MSI MAG 360r AIO liquid cooler

Last edited:

The video displays results for COD Modern Warfare; I would imagine that the high player counts, far draw distances and large number of objects in Warzone put more stress on the CPU than Modern Warfare does.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Indeed, I did take that into account. Warzone would be harder on cpu + ram than MW would be, and a 5700XT is a little faster than a 2060.

I'm led to believe that the OP's results might be normal, save for some small changes here and there - should be able to get a little higher, but nothing drastic though.

Indeed, I did take that into account. Warzone would be harder on cpu + ram than MW would be, and a 5700XT is a little faster than a 2060.

I'm led to believe that the OP's results might be normal, save for some small changes here and there - should be able to get a little higher, but nothing drastic though.

Yeah, for 1440p medium/high settings with the hardware he has, I'm not really surprised with the results.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Do you use Geforce Experience to optimise? It can optimise too much towards quality depending where the quality slider sits in GE settings. Another quality setting you could try mess with ingame is anti aliasing. I find in 1440p it's not really necessary. See what you think.