Oct 28, 2009
Hi all,

Running
Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz Processor
Win-32 XP Media Center SP 3 OS
4GB RAM (Dual 2G DDR I believe)
2 GeForce 9500 GT (1 GB each) cards set in SLI with updated 191.07 drivers
Vsync is off
Running to a 37" LG HDTV via DVI to HDMI cable.
Resolution set to 1920 x 1080.

Whenever I change graphics drivers, oblivion resets my graphics to low, every time.

My problem is with all settings maxed in Oblivion the most fps I get outside are around 20 in a forest.

Forcing any level of AA on top of this (even 2x) immediately decreases fps to 7/8 in this area. Even with AA and AF off though I should be destroying oblivion fps wise. I run Fallout 3 just fine with AA anf AF on.

I don't understand why SLI does not seem to work, I know I should be able to run Oblivion with HDR, forced 16x AF and 16x AA and still be in the 30's FPS-wise.

I can provide more detail if needed. I am currently downloading 3d Mark 06 to benchmark test this machine.

Solution
Well, to be honest, although paired; the 9500gt's arnt gonna give good perfoirmance ....theyre not really designed for gaming and even two together wont give 'good' performance especially at those settings.

The performance your getting seems realistic to me.

There is no way on earth that you'll be able to run 16xAA and 16xAF @ 1920x1200....god even top end cards may struggle at those settings!!!

smoggy12345

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Well, to be honest, although paired; the 9500gt's arnt gonna give good perfoirmance ....theyre not really designed for gaming and even two together wont give 'good' performance especially at those settings.

The performance your getting seems realistic to me.

There is no way on earth that you'll be able to run 16xAA and 16xAF @ 1920x1200....god even top end cards may struggle at those settings!!!

Solution

Infinity000

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I have changed some things. I run a dual-boot system XP and Vista Ultimate, seperate hard drives.

I had Oblivion installed on both, and noted via other games that Vista sucks with games.

However, moving back to vista and using nHancer program, I realized Vista actually runs Oblvion better!!! My fps now with all settings maxed, AA at 32x and AF at 16x with the same cards gets me around 90-100 fps indoors and 20-60 outside now. It looks absolutely sweet.

My only problem now is that oblivion stutters outside a little. It is just noticable, seems to be when objects are loaded in the distance. If I use the console command tdt to show fps and IO settings, the stuttering occurs when textures are cached it appears. Now I have applied the settings to the memory in the oblivion ini file as stated in tweak guides. Is there something I'm missing that could fix the stuttering? Its not a game killer, but slightly annoying.

Any suggestions?

EDIT - I plan on defragging the hard drive tonight to see if this fixes it.