Question FPS rubber banding issue

May 23, 2019
Hey guys,

So I currently have a i7 4790k overclocked (not sure what it is clocked to) CPU and a gtx 1080 GPU. When I am playing any game I am experiencing a video (and sometimes) audio rubber banding effect. My FPS is capped at 144 but every 5-6 seconds I am experiencing a sudden drop down to 40-60 fps for a split second... It is more frequent in busier scenarios (more individuals fighting around me etc) in games like fortnite. I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to computer related fixes but is there any way someone could shed some light on what could be causing this issue? I have adjusted my nvidia settings as well as in-game settings for maximum FPS boosts so other than the rubber banding, and I have also been monitoring my temps which never exceed 55-60 degrees celcius. One thing I should add is that I am playing on wifi (with extenders) but no other devices are playing on my 3g network and I never experience any ping fluctuation (its usually between 20-30) or packet loss... Any insight is greatly appreciated

Thanks so much

For me it's a combination of your connection being WiFi, and if I'm correct, on a 3g network - as in tethering to a phone or mobile connection, as opposed to a hard line Ethernet connection?

What speed is your connection? Up/Down?

It's possible your CPU is maxing out which could cause FPS drops, but rubber banding is associated with poor connectivity.

If you have a hard line connection with a modem/router somewhere else, consider using a powerline setup instead of Wifi/extenders. Much better results.

May 23, 2019
For me it's a combination of your connection being WiFi, and if I'm correct, on a 3g network - as in tethering to a phone or mobile connection, as opposed to a hard line Ethernet connection?

What speed is your connection? Up/Down?

It's possible your CPU is maxing out which could cause FPS drops, but rubber banding is associated with poor connectivity.

If you have a hard line connection with a modem/router somewhere else, consider using a powerline setup instead of Wifi/extenders. Much better results.

Hi Keith,

My wifi isnt the greatest.. says :

Mbps download
Mbps upload
Latency: 12 ms

The weird thing is monitoring I have been monitoring my packet loss and ping and neither of them spike when I am playing yet this fps rubber banding occurs. So is it possible hardwiring would fix this issue? Or is that something that can be ruled out.

Edit: Also, one thing I discovered is that when I am chatting to friends in discord, there is breaks in my audio apparently.. They say my audio constantly cuts out and they are unable to hear what I am saying for a brief moment.

It really does sound like a bandwidth issue!

30 down/10 up isn't too bad. But, if you are using discord too, it's possible the connection is just maxed out. Can you plug a laptop directly into the modem with a cable and test again? This will tell you your max speed, as opposed to the speeds you are achieving with WIfi, which can be substantially less.

Latency is good, mine is typically 9-12ms. So I don't think it's that. My connection is 80mb down/20 up. On wifi, i'd be hitting about the same as you, maybe a little more. But not much. But on wifi, i'd have drops regardless of how good the connection was. It doesn't take much to cut the signal and reduce speeds, and then pop back up again.

With the power line I get 70-80mb down and 20 up, consistently with no performance drops. Newer power line adaptors have built in Wifi. So you can have your desktop plugged in by ethernet, and your other stuff connected by wifi. It's a great option and may solve your issue.

May 23, 2019
I think my wifi has good latency and up / down speeds because I use a pair of power line adaptors already (I think the brand is D-LINK) and the model is the DHP-800AV I believe. Is this what you were suggesting Keith?

I find that they help alot, but maybe my next option is to shell out some money and hardwire my pc directly to my router since its in the basement and my router / modem is on the main floor of my house?

Also Keith, is there any potential that this could be something hardware related? Or something that could be a minor tweak that could resolve this issue

hopsteriam

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
I would hard line the house regardless of whether it fixes the issue.
If it is your house and you hardline from end to end you enjoy it for many years OR add a few hundred to the house cost on sale to have put in that infrastructure. Just think you are already ahead of Malcolm Turnbull former Aussie PM who screwed our National Broadband Network if you do lol.
I am hardwiring this house this week as I (hate having to retype as I hit caps lock and did not notice for 4 lines lol) hate being the slowest connection in the house yet I wear the bill and have to cut the turds off to get paid back for their share of the bill. I run a Cat 5e through the house at the moment. Bitches sook over it so the hard line is going down the side of the house.
I have seen those power line adapters give VERY bad results before, off and on. Wireless extenders are only as good as the channel is busy. Could be your neighbor also on channel 11 decided to start a massive download or many short ones in quick succession or etc etc. Could be someone turned on the TV and regradless of different frequencies, white noise is $^%&ing your connection over the powerline adapters.
But then you are on 3G yes? So maybe phones in the are are taking your bandwidth??
Yo could have kids ringing each other from the same house next door tying up the tower???
A hardline will at least kill some those scenarios, even if just for a day to remove that from the question you need answered.

I think my wifi has good latency and up / down speeds because I use a pair of power line adaptors already (I think the brand is D-LINK) and the model is the DHP-800AV I believe. Is this what you were suggesting Keith?

I find that they help alot, but maybe my next option is to shell out some money and hardwire my pc directly to my router since its in the basement and my router / modem is on the main floor of my house?

Also Keith, is there any potential that this could be something hardware related? Or something that could be a minor tweak that could resolve this issue

Yes, that's what I was suggesting. Powerline adaptors.

It's possible it's hardware related. And by that I mean driver wise (software for the hardware). Make sure your system drivers (audio/motherboard/lan etc) are all up to date. Try a bios update to ensure your mobo is working at it's most optimal, compatibility wise. GPU drivers too. Make sure that Windows is up to date too.

Run an instance of HWMon/info while you are gaming. Alt-tab out of a game and take a screenshot of HWMon and post it here so we can see whats happening with your hardware. It will give us lots of metrics to check, not least CPU voltage/temps/usage, along with GPU/HDD/System ram usage etc.

You can also set up MSI afterburner OSD. Set it to show, CPU usage/Temps, GPU usage/Temps, System ram usage, and frame time variance. When you are in game, the frame time variance graph will help you identify spikes, but if you watch the other usage, you will be able to see what is at 100% usage while the spikes occur. This might point in the right direction as to what exactly is the issue.

TRENDING THREADS