FPS slows down to half or more for couple seconds

kosmo1982

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
i have amd fx 8350 and radeon 7850. My problem is that in games my FPS many times drops to half and i think its cpu/ motherboard related. i recently changed my cpu from fx 6100 on which i had the same problem. Its like its cooling down for some time, then goes fast for some time and then again goes slower to cool itself.
My motherboard is some cheap one: msi 760gm-p21/fx (ms-7641), and my friend found somewhere that it might be motherboard related. I tried everything in bios related to CPU (disabling cool and quiet, flashed bios to newest, manualy set CPU ratio. I have also used core parking manager, but the problem is always here.
In Fur Mark when only set GPU stress test everything is ok, but when i add CPU stress test at the same time, cpu is slowing down all the time by half.

kosmo1982

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
i did some other testing and its happening when CPU hits 50 C, it slows down, cools down to 40 C , start working fast again and over and over again. How can i disable it?

The performance does not decrease due to the temperature increase, rather the temperature increases due to the performance decrease. When it hits around 50C there is obviously one or two cores of the 6-cored CPU that are handling too much to process 60 times per second (or whatever your initial frame rate was). You'll either have to live with it or open task manager and close other programs using up quite a bit of CPU.

kosmo1982

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
6100 is already in thrash its happening also on fx 8350. i noticed that when it slows down cpu core voltage goes down to 0,8 and when its going full speed its 1,3

A voltage increase as the CPU ramps up its clock speed is normal.

Are you sure about those temps? What are you using to get them? 50C is very low for a load temp. Most CPUs are set to throttle at around 60-70C, and manufacturer spec'ed to work up to 100C. If the 50C is accurate, then your motherboard is being way too conservative.

Look through your BIOS for a setting for CPU throttling or thermal protection. Usually you can set which temp at which the CPU will go into thermal protection and throttle. If you find it, raise the limit to 60C or 65C.

kosmo1982

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
okay i think i found an answer :
"The 760gm-p21 fx's power design is only able to cope with 95w cpus max. As the FX 8350 exceeds this by far it will throttle the cpu by virtual overheating.

Unfortunately to this point just the US site mentions this limitation: http://us.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-P21--FX-.html"
i need new motherboard