[SOLVED] FPS started spiking a lot after replacing my motherboard ?

MuchSalt

Prominent
Oct 26, 2019
For some reason I had an error on my PC which forced me to switch my motherboard. My pc was already in top condition and can handle literally most things and rarely spiked in fps, Once i installed the new mother board however (which is the the same type that i used previously, just a fresh version of it) whenever i launch a game i get really bad fps spikes despite putting all of the graphic settings literally on low or off. I have tried closing most background apps and this problem did not occur to me until i changed my motherboard. Any idea on how to fix this?

Solution
Okay -- your existing Windows installation contains registry entries and device drivers which are now invalid because they relate to different motherboard hardware.

That's going to confuse Windows for sure until you do a fresh install so Windows setup can properly acquaint itself with the new hardware.

MuchSalt

Prominent
Oct 26, 2019
Yes -- reformat the existing Windows partition then fresh install from scratch.

Be sure to backup any important data you have on that partition before you format it !
Ik this is probably like i really dumb thing to say, but like why is that formatting fixes it? like what does it do that makes everything better? is it like because the new mother board with the other parts like corrupt some stuff making my pc kind of slower?

Okay -- your existing Windows installation contains registry entries and device drivers which are now invalid because they relate to different motherboard hardware.

That's going to confuse Windows for sure until you do a fresh install so Windows setup can properly acquaint itself with the new hardware.

Reactions: MuchSalt
Solution

MuchSalt

Prominent
Oct 26, 2019

Oooooh okay gotchu thank you so much <3

TRENDING THREADS