[SOLVED] Fractal 7 vs 7 XL

Doron22

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
Just some thought going up my head..

Not gonna overclock at all and not using any kind of water cooling. Just tons and tons of noctua 140mm fans :D

Is there any reason to get the XL over the regular 7 just for the additional head room?
Will the large open space yield better temps overall? Worse temps?

My Future build: (Bold, Already bought)
Ryzen 9 5900X
3070 RTX
NH-D15
1TB 970 evo plus
Crucial 64GB (16x4) 3600 CL16

Fractal 7
Seasonic FOCUS PX-850

Btw I'm fixed on getting fractal case. I just love thier quality and brand. And I know I'm somewhat limited by the case for maximum airflow.

Thanks !

Solution
Hehe not so sure about oc the cpu, but who knows.

Forgot to mention the mobo, the plan is to get the x570 unify.

Also the 64GB is a recommendation of premiere pro when editing at 4k so I'm sticking to that.

I didn't know that about the cpu LOL.. Everyone on youtube talks about speed over 3800 or even 4000 so I didn't think that 3600 wont work.

I hope it will be compatible. The RAM P/N is BL2K16G36C16U4B

Release date for 5900X I believe is 5th November.
I could not find a QVL for the x570 Unify to determine which RAM kits are compatible and tested.

The Crucial ballistix kit you nominated BL2K16G36C16U4B are a (2x16) 32GB kit so for your requirement you would want a (4x16) 64GB kit BLS4K16G4D240FSE which...
Just some thought going up my head..

Not gonna overclock at all and not using any kind of water cooling. Just tons and tons of noctua 140mm fans :D

Is there any reason to get the XL over the regular 7 just for the additional head room?
Will the large open space yield better temps overall? Worse temps?

My Future build: (Bold, Already bought)
Ryzen 9 5900X
3070 RTX
NH-D15
1TB 970 evo plus
Crucial 64GB (16x4) 3600 CL16

Fractal 7
Seasonic FOCUS PX-850

Btw I'm fixed on getting fractal case. I just love thier quality and brand. And I know I'm somewhat limited by the case for maximum airflow.

Thanks !

The fractal 7 is an excellent mid tower case. I myself like full tower for room and throughput of air.

Get yourself an extra 140mm mag lev pwr 4pin fan for rear extraction so you can control it in your Bios fan curve profile. ofc you will need a 4pin header on the MB.

What is the reason for 64GB RAM. You must be doing some pretty heavy stuff.
So many fans will make for a noisy system under load however should provide the cooling you need if you don't wish to Overclock. I bet you will in the future LOL
I hope you realize that Ryzen 9-5900x officially supports up to 3200MHz RAM.
You have not listed the Motherboard and RAM P/N to evaluate if they will work together.

Doron22

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
The fractal 7 is an excellent mid tower case. I myself like full tower for room and throughput of air.

Get yourself an extra 140mm mag lev pwr 4pin fan for rear extraction so you can control it in your Bios fan curve profile. ofc you will need a 4pin header on the MB.

What is the reason for 64GB RAM. You must be doing some pretty heavy stuff.
So many fans will make for a noisy system under load however should provide the cooling you need if you don't wish to Overclock. I bet you will in the future LOL
I hope you realize that Ryzen 9-5900x officially supports up to 3200MHz RAM.
You have not listed the Motherboard and RAM P/N to evaluate if they will work together.

Also the 64GB is a recommendation of premiere pro when editing at 4k so I'm sticking to that.

I didn't know that about the cpu LOL.. Everyone on youtube talks about speed over 3800 or even 4000 so I didn't think that 3600 wont work.

Release date for 5900X I believe is 5th November.
I could not find a QVL for the x570 Unify to determine which RAM kits are compatible and tested.

The Crucial ballistix kit you nominated BL2K16G36C16U4B are a (2x16) 32GB kit so for your requirement you would want a (4x16) 64GB kit BLS4K16G4D240FSE which are compatible with your MB.

As with all OC RAM you will have to manually enter the SPD Timings in Bios as they will most likely default to 2400MHz on initial start up.

As to whether the CPU will support the kit you choose will depend on the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on the chip so no guarantee you will attain their rated frequency.

Last edited:
Solution