Question Fractal Design 7 case layout query ?

Invicta

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
I am looking to build a new PC for video editing. which puts a demand on the case specs. I am interested in the Fractal Design 7 which looks promising. My challenge is will the graphics card fit along with all the hard disk drives I require. At the top of the case I need the optical disk drive bay. Then I would like to add either 4 or 5 hard disk drives. My proposed graphics card is large at 34.82 cm long. The Fractal Design PDF shows it will fit if there is no disk drive. My query is how far down would 4-5 hard drives go and would they go low enough to block the graphics card?

Does anybody have experience of this case and can advise how the storage configuration works and if I can leave a space where the graphics card fits the motherboard?

Lutfij

Titan
My proposed graphics card is large at 34.82 cm long.
Got a link to the GPU you're looking at?

I am interested in the Fractal Design 7 which looks promising.
Which SKU are you looking at? You could look into this bracket.

can advise how the storage configuration works and if I can leave a space where the graphics card fits the motherboard?
Might want to list the rest of your proposed specs list in case you might run into any other compatibility/clearance issues.

Invicta

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
Hi, thanks for the reply. The graphics card I am looking at is one of these, it's a monster.

https://www.asus.com/uk/motherboard...s/tuf-gaming/tuf-rtx4080-16g-gaming/techspec/

I keep looking at the Fractal design PDF guide, flipping between optical drive build and server build I think I can fit the drives and card in, but I am concerned changing to storage layout moves the panel from back to front and I fear this will block the graphics card even if no hard drive in that zone.

As to which Define 7 I am looking at the standard one, not XL, compact, Nano.

Last edited:

Invicta

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
From the Tom's Hardware review

seven expansion slots can accommodate graphics cards up to 467mm in length in the open layout with fans mounted in the front.
Configured in the server layout, graphics card are limited to 315 mm.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fractal-design-define-7/2

However, I think my question is if I configure in server layout, but do not install a disk at the point opposite the graphics card how long can the card be? Is it still 467mm?

From the Tom's Hardware review

seven expansion slots can accommodate graphics cards up to 467mm in length in the open layout with fans mounted in the front.
Configured in the server layout, graphics card are limited to 315 mm.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fractal-design-define-7/2

However, I think my question is if I configure in server layout, but do not install a disk at the point opposite the graphics card how long can the card be? Is it still 467mm?
If you have not already done so you need to download the manual for the case and study the options. With a long graphics card you have options for alternate hard drive locations. 2 on the bottom, 1 on the right side in back of the motherboard divider, even a couple of drives in the top area if you're not using it for fans. So read the manual, study the options and plan what you need to do.

https://www.fractal-design.com/app/uploads/2020/02/Define_7_Manual-V2.pdf

Invicta

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
I have downloaded the manual, flipping between optical drive build and server build unfortunately does not answer a key question. When you reconfigure to server build does moving the metal plate from one side to the other restrict the graphics card length or is it only when you add disk drives that the length is restricted?

I have downloaded the manual, flipping between optical drive build and server build unfortunately does not answer a key question. When you reconfigure to server build does moving the metal plate from one side to the other restrict the graphics card length or is it only when you add disk drives that the length is restricted?
It would depend more on how much clearance to you need above the top of the graphics card, especially where the power cable is connected. (Personally I have my case totally open in the left side to maximize air flow around the cpu cooler.) If you move the plate you would only be able to mount 2 or 3 drives in the area not occupied by the graphics card, and since you would be able to mount 6 drives without going into the server configuration it might be best to leave the metal plate where it is. The server mode is mainly for low power systems where you need that many drives. With a graphics card that large you might be better off with their XL size case.

Jun 27, 2023
I am looking at a similar configuration. I sent an inquiry to Fractal Design yesterday; haven't heard back yet.

I did find one site that had a picture of a storage layout configuration not fully loaded with HDD's that appeared to have a long GPU card (Nvidia RTX 3090 FE) - see https://arstechnica.com/civis/threads/fractal-design-define-7.1465089/

Remaining question is whether the 5.25" ODD option is viable in the storage layout. I suspect Yes, but would like confirmation before ordering. My reasoning: 5.25" = 133.4 mm; the 140 mm front fans fit in the storage layout, and the link above shows a measured dimension of 172 mm that appears to be pertinent.

One "defect" related to the Define 7: there are so many ways to configure this case that it's apparently difficult for F-D to document them all!

Last edited: