Question Fractal Design - Define 7 XL. PSU fans facing up?

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022
Hello

I'm thinking of getting a Fractal Design Define 7 XL. I want to know if anyone has one with the PSU facing up? As in the fans are not looking down towards the ground. I know there are holes on the PSU shroud, but just want to be sure.

you should not have the power supply upside down as you mention.
you should leave it as intended with it's fans drawing in cooler outside air through the bottom and exhausting through the rear.

any vents or holes in the shroud are to allow for bottom mounted intake fans and/or for any drives located in the shroud to have some airflow.

why would you want to mount your PSU upside down?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
For fanless psus, grille up is necessary.
For models equipped with a fan that has a fan off, or zero rpm mode that functions when power use is low... if you want to take advantage of that function - that would be a reason to have it fan up.

Iamsotired

Prominent
May 8, 2022
you should not have the power supply upside down as you mention.
you should leave it as intended with it's fans drawing in cooler outside air through the bottom and exhausting through the rear.

any vents or holes in the shroud are to allow for bottom mounted intake fans and/or for any drives located in the shroud to have some airflow.

why would you want to mount your PSU upside down?

It's mainly due to my cat. All that shedding fur. I know there's a filter underneath and it takes nothing to pull out and clean. I figured the intake from the front 3x 140mm has a smaller intake space so less hair and fluff. Therefore upside fan.

It's a Corsair RM750X with zero rpm mode.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's mainly due to my cat. All that shedding fur. I know there's a filter underneath and it takes nothing to pull out and clean. I figured the intake from the front 3x 140mm has a smaller intake space so less hair and fluff. Therefore upside fan.

It's a Corsair RM750X with zero rpm mode.
Well, in that scenario, don't do fan up. Leave it fan down and clean the filter as often as needed.
When done as fan up, and when the fan spins up, it gets air from the unfiltered PCIe slots - but then, so can the gpu... the best move might be to DIY a filter over those slots.