Fractal Design Define R5 Airflow

notredameguy

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Hello all.

I am building my second build and will be using the Fractal Design Define R5 Case. I am putting in 2 Asus GTX 1080 Strix cards with some overlocking so need better than stock cooling. I am also using a water cooling with a 240 radiator for the CPU. I don't want to open to open the top moduvents if possible to keep noise down.

My plan was to put:
Radiator in the front with push/pull configuration of four 120 fans.
140 fan in rear for exhaust.
In addition, was going put a 140 exhaust fan on the bottom under the 2 GPUS. I know others have said use this as intake, but since I have push/pull configuration in the front and the Asus Strix 1080 have in case fans that push the air down, having a fan right below pushing air up doesn't seem smart to me.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Video cards don't push the air down it draws air in from the bottom and out the top. (or out the sides of the top with a back plate)
The rad is going to be the loudest thing in the PC anyhow if your looking for quite then buy a D15 or Cryorig R1 air cooler.
2X140mm in the front intake (removing the center drive bay) Cooler listed above and you should be set. If your having temp problems then add a bottom 140mm intake and one 140mm top back exhaust.
I would never run SLI or Xfire and be already blowing warm air into the PC with a front mounted rad. If your using one of the 1151 socked processors then with a 240 rad push pull will not be needed unless your just trying the push the limits of the overclock squeezing out the extra 0.2 or so.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Video cards don't push the air down it draws air in from the bottom and out the top. (or out the sides of the top with a back plate)
The rad is going to be the loudest thing in the PC anyhow if your looking for quite then buy a D15 or Cryorig R1 air cooler.
2X140mm in the front intake (removing the center drive bay) Cooler listed above and you should be set. If your having temp problems then add a bottom 140mm intake and one 140mm top back exhaust.
I would never run SLI or Xfire and be already blowing warm air into the PC with a front mounted rad. If your using one of the 1151 socked processors then with a 240 rad push pull will not be needed unless your just trying the push the limits of the overclock squeezing out the extra 0.2 or so.

Solution

notredameguy

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

Awesome thanks for all the info. That helps a lot. Ill have to do some more planning then and then get started! So excited@