Fractal Design Introduces Core 500, Node 202 Cases, Updates Kelvin Water Cooling Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
"S36 features three radiators with a total measurement of 30 x 394 x 397 mm (HxWxD)"

The biggest water cooler comes with three radiators? The measurements seem off too... I'm thinking it will only fit into cases with a huge side window that you can take out. 360x360x30 would be 9 120mm fans 30mm deep.

More and more these cases are looking like high end versions of the old flat AT style computer cases that were popular in the early 90's and back and are still used in some small form factor proprietary designs. Personally, if the design fits your environment better, I kind of like it as it takes stress from the vertical placement of heavy components like the CPU cooler and GPU card and translates it to the slot instead of weak points on the hardware. I'd like to see more of this, just not in vanilla flavored varieties similar to what was common back then. Considering that most those cases could be easily placed on an entertainment center or small table, the comparisons are relatively parallel aside from cooling and motherboard form factor differences.

Arabian Knight

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
Hello Fractal Design,

Regarding your new Core 500 case ,

I hope you did not start mass production ...

here is the minor thing you missed ,

the case width is 250 mm and looking at the rear of the case I can see that you wasted 20mm to the left where the power plug is installed.

here is the catch , Cards like Titan Z are THREE SLOTS CARDS.

so this 20 mm to the left should have been used to the RIGHT making it a 3 slots case instead of 2 slots case.

MANY cards are 3 slots . and MANY people will use this case with DUAL GPU 3 slots cards coming in the near future for the lack of slots in itx form factor!

it is a WONDERFUL CASE !!! but why on earth waste 20 mm to the left ? use those 20 mm to the RIGHT making it a 3 slots case .

as for the power plug , it can be placed over the third slot there is enough space above the cards because you allowed 140 rear fan in the case.

I hope you did not go for mass production :(

keep it 250 width but use the that for 3 slots and put the power plug over the third slot place !

here is my mod to your case :

samer_zpsfvxb854k.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f11/samer1970/samer_zpsfvxb854k.jpg

More and more these cases are looking like high end versions of the old flat AT style computer cases that were popular in the early 90's and back and are still used in some small form factor proprietary designs.

If they had moved the Node 202's graphics cooling vents to the opposite side, I think I could have made a flat desktop case out of it & just sit my monitor on top like the old days!

Exactly. To be honest, thermally they're probably more efficient than tower cases. With less actual airspace internally, the air is exchanged at a higher rate, and there are less opportunities for air pockets and eddies. This is observed in server chassis where the air exchange is so efficient they generally don't need separate fans for the CPU cooler heatsinks. Of course, if there's overclocking and big cards installed, you want cooling on those items, but the faster air exchange with these type of cases is still probably more efficient if you can shrink the size of the case and still use the same size fans you'd use on an ATX tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.