Fractal Design Meshify C Fan Set-Up

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
Hello,

I am thinking of going with the Fractal Design Meshify C for my new build. I have two questions about it. Firstly, is this a good case for cooling? I've heard it is, as it has room for two 140mm fans at the front, but I want to get the input of people here as well. Secondly, what sort of fan set-up should I have? I think two 140mm fans at the front and one 120mm fan at the rear seems about right, but any advice is appreciated. In terms of fans I was thinking of going with two Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm fans and one NF-S12A 120mm fan, as I've heard good things about them. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

My overall build:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/t7syLJ

Solution
The Meshify-C is a pretty great case for cooling.
The TG variants are pretty good too for what they are.

I have the TG variant, 2x 140mm Noctua intake, 1x 120mm Noctua exhaust. Respectable temps, although the GPU (980TI) does get a little warm - not 'bad' by any means, just not quite as cool as I would like.

I have the NF-A14's for intake.... and an NF-F12 (static pressure optimized) for exhaust as I mis-ordered and Amazon were then out of the S12's when I looked into return/exchange.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The Meshify-C is a pretty great case for cooling.
The TG variants are pretty good too for what they are.

I have the TG variant, 2x 140mm Noctua intake, 1x 120mm Noctua exhaust. Respectable temps, although the GPU (980TI) does get a little warm - not 'bad' by any means, just not quite as cool as I would like.

I have the NF-A14's for intake.... and an NF-F12 (static pressure optimized) for exhaust as I mis-ordered and Amazon were then out of the S12's when I looked into return/exchange.

Solution

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017

Wow, we have virtually identical case/fans. Would adding a fan underneath for intake and one at the top rear for exhaust help, or do you think it would just mess up the airflow?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You'll see my full system spec from my sig. I have the D15 (non-S) in there with Chromax.swap fans. Tight, but fits.

Start with 2x intake, 1x exhaust you proposed. If you need additional cooling after that, you can mess around with some layouts.

I've considered adding a 120mm to the bottom (intake) to feel the GPU a little more but, ultimately, it's not "needed".

Depending on the components/cooling, top exhausts may or may not be beneficial. Hot air rises, so you loose a little bit of heat out there naturally. I wouldn't expect wholesale improvements in cooling from populating there too.

Again, experiment if you must. But I doubt you'll need more than 2x intake, 1x exhaust.

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017

Yeah, I think all of my components should fit. The D-15S I’ve heard is quite easy to fit in most cases due to its asymmetrical design. Thanks for all your help. I’ll stick to my plan for three fans for the moment, as you suggest, and see if I need any more in the future.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yeah, the D15S has greater compatibility, but the D15 is larger - just highlighting the room there is to work with in there.

Totally worth checking out the 2+1 initially. No sense spending more, for negligible cooling improvements.
See how you fare initially. With a 1080, I'd expect your GPU temps should be perfectly adequate, a little cooler/quieter than my 980TI (also an EVGA SC)

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017

I imagine with a D-15S my CPU temps should be fine as well?