Question Fractal Design Meshify S2 side panel question

Kalik212

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
I'm going to be getting this case for my new build but was wondering about the side panels...I usually don't like clear side panels but the Dark Tint Tempered Glass looks interesting
  1. how dark is it?...it's hard to tell from pictures...is it easy to see through the panel inside the case?...like I said I normally prefer solid panels but if the Dark glass is really dark then I might go in that direction
  2. are the side panels interchangeable?...meaning if I get the Tempered Side Panel version can I switch the left/right panels?...meaning can I put the solid panel on the left side and the clear panel on the right?
thanks for any help!

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
It's pretty dark. RGB and other LED lit items will be visible, at reduced levels, but not so much as with a clear panel.

No, the panels are likely not switchable because the TG panels fasten differently than the plain steel or steel wit acrylic panels do. Besides, you wouldn't want to do that anyhow. If you want a solid panel, get one with a solid panel.

This pretty clearly shows how visible things are inside with the Meshify S2 dark tinted TG.

Kalik212

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
No, the panels are likely not switchable because the TG panels fasten differently than the plain steel or steel wit acrylic panels do. Besides, you wouldn't want to do that anyhow. If you want a solid panel, get one with a solid panel.
main reason I was wondering about swapping panels is that way if I get the Dark Tint glass and I find it not dark enough I could always swap the right/left panels...with my desk and positioning only the left side (tinted glass) is visible so I could just swap panels if I don't like it

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
Well, the ORIGINAL panels on my Define S, the first gen version of that case, are swappable. The acrylic windowed panel can be switched with the solid panel OR you can put TWO acrylic windowed panels on that case, however, I purchased a full TG panel upgrade for it and THAT panel is not swappable with the right side panel, so while I can't say for CERTAIN, I think it's highly probable that they will not be interchangeable.

However, if you don't want to see the stuff inside, and really that is the ONLY reason for having a Windowed panel, then I'd suggest just getting the solid panel model. Or, get the Windowed TG panel model and then BUY a standard side panel through Fractal if it turns out to be not to your liking. I think err on the side of caution though, if you already know you won't like it, and just go with what you WILL like.

Kalik212

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
Well, the ORIGINAL panels on my Define S, the first gen version of that case, are swappable. The acrylic windowed panel can be switched with the solid panel OR you can put TWO acrylic windowed panels on that case, however, I purchased a full TG panel upgrade for it and THAT panel is not swappable with the right side panel, so while I can't say for CERTAIN, I think it's highly probable that they will not be interchangeable.
in that YouTube video you linked to earlier he actually does try and swap out the side panels...but he only swapped out the left (solid) panel to see if it would fit in the right slot...it fit fine...but he didn't test out the opposite- the TG panel on the right side

the part where he tries switching out the panels starts at the 3:40 mark...

View: https://youtu.be/t9OPE1_4tFE?t=220

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
Actually, I revisited this today. Seems my TG left side panel WILL fit on the right (Backside) so if the right panel fits on the left side of that case I would assume the reverse is true as well. I thought so, but I don't know why I was thinking it didn't fit on mine. Oh well, I'll chalk it up to getting old. :)

And just for the purpose of clarity, the windowed panels on most cases are on the left. The solid panels that cover the backside of the motherboard tray are on the right, not the other way around. There are a few reversed cases that are the opposite, but most are not that way.

I think you would be fine, BUT, if you shoot off an email to support at Fractal design, they should get back to you within a day or two. Maybe a little longer right now because most tech support for a lot of companies are working from home because of 'Rona, but Fractal is very good about customer support and responding to inquiries. I've dealt with them a number of times and in my experience they are among the very best in the industry along with EVGA and Corsair when it comes to support, both before and after the sale.

Kalik212

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
Actually, I revisited this today. Seems my TG left side panel WILL fit on the right (Backside) so if the right panel fits on the left side of that case I would assume the reverse is true as well. I thought so, but I don't know why I was thinking it didn't fit on mine. Oh well, I'll chalk it up to getting old. :)
thanks...so you actually tested it out?...you were able to put the Meshify S2 TG panel on the right side and it fits and locks into place fine?...I thought I read someplace that the screws were different

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
No, I was able to put the Define S, first generation, tempered glass side panel on the opposite side. As I said in my earlier post, I have the first generation Define S, not the S2. Even so, if it works on this case, AND if on the S2 as you said the solid panel from the right side is able to be installed on the right side where the tempered glass panel normally goes, then it stands to reason that the tempered glass panel should ALSO be able to be installed where the right side panel came from as well.

A solid side panel runs about 17 dollar US, plus shipping, but may also be available through alternate retail sources rather than ordering directly from Fractal design.

https://www.fractal-design-shop.de/Meshify-S2-Left-Side-Panel-Black

Last edited:

Kalik212

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
if you shoot off an email to support at Fractal design, they should get back to you within a day or two. Maybe a little longer right now because most tech support for a lot of companies are working from home because of 'Rona, but Fractal is very good about customer support and responding to inquiries. I've dealt with them a number of times and in my experience they are among the very best in the industry along with EVGA and Corsair when it comes to support, both before and after the sale.
I took your advice and e-mailed Fractal...they replied back and stated that for the Meshify S2, both the right and left hand side panels are interchangeable...so good news!

Reactions: Makaveli

ASK THE COMMUNITY