Question Fractal Meshify S2 top case-fan placement advice ?

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
I have the Fractal Meshify S2 case...I'm looking for advice on where to place the top case fan...I currently am using 3 Noctua front intake 140mm and 1 rear exhaust 140mm...the case has room on top for more fans and I bought a Noctua NF-A12x25 120mm (to use as a top exhaust) but I'm not sure of the optimal placement

if I put it towards the front (where the front fans are located) then won't it pull air away from going to the CPU/GPU etc?...but if I place it in the back (where the rear fan is located) won't it pull air away from the CPU cooler fan direction?...I attached some pics...any help would be appreciated...Thanks

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you need the top fan?

I have same case and I had same concerns about a top front fan sucking cool air away from CPU/ram. I actually have 2 140mm fans in roof but since I use an AIO on the CPU it doesn't matter so much.

I guess I need a dust
izI0F1J.jpg

I would be more inclined to put it at back above CPU fan. It would help remove heat from CPU more at back, its not really helping where it is.

Last edited:

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
Do you need the top fan?

I have same case and I had same concerns about a top front fan sucking cool air away from CPU/ram. I actually have 2 140mm fans in roof but since I use an AIO on the CPU it doesn't matter so much.

I would be more inclined to put it at back above CPU fan. It would help remove heat from CPU more at back, its not really helping where it is.

thanks...it's a tight fit above the CPU cooler but it'll fit...so in that location it won't pull air away from the 2 fans attached to ny CPU cooler (which is pushing hot air out the rear of the case)?

one other question...I'm using those rubber grommet things instead of regular screws to attach the top case fan...any issues with that?...it doesn't seem as secure with the rubber things and I don't want it to fall

Colif

Win 11 Master
it should just help remove air from case, the CPU fans are doing same job so it shouldn't harm them

the grommets should be fine, they have been using them for a few years now. They are good for reducing vibrations.
I was intending to get some Noctua fans but so far getting away with using the fractal fans.

Da5gvJo.jpg

guess pump doesn't take up as much space as an air cooler

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
it should just help remove air from case, the CPU fans are doing same job so it shouldn't harm them

the grommets should be fine, they have been using them for a few years now. They are good for reducing vibrations.
I was intending to get some Noctua fans but so far getting away with using the fractal fans.

Da5gvJo.jpg

guess pump doesn't take up as much space as an air cooler

the Fractal fans actually seem really good...only issue is that they are not PWM...I also prefer the low noise of Noctua fans...they are nearly dead silent

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yeah, they are only thing I can hear from PC, the top fans. I have to change the fan plan on AIO and make them run faster to ever actually hear the AIO fans over the others. They aren't that bad. One day I will replace them with Noctuas, it was planned from beginning but that was over a year ago now. I guess I got used to it. PC is quieter than my previous one.

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
i would leave the intakes where they are, you shouldn't need any coming in the top as well, can disturb air flow.

is your PC running hot?

temps are fine...I would just like to use at least 1 top case fan...any issues with 4 of my case fans being 140mm and the top alone being 120mm?...is it better to have them all matching?

Colif

Win 11 Master
fans don't all have to be same size. My last PC had 3 x 180mm fans as intake and only 1 120mm as exhaust, size doesn't matter so much.

You should put the 120mm above CPU at rear as exhaust, it will do the best impact there. only thing you might find is if you don't remove the foam mesh from top of case it can get dusty, or that could just be my PC since I have negative pressure. It probably won't happen to you.

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
fans don't all have to be same size. My last PC had 3 x 180mm fans as intake and only 1 120mm as exhaust, size doesn't matter so much.

You should put the 120mm above CPU at rear as exhaust, it will do the best impact there. only thing you might find is if you don't remove the foam mesh from top of case it can get dusty, or that could just be my PC since I have negative pressure. It probably won't happen to you.

I ended up moving the fan to the top rear spot...it makes the most sense, won't interfere with the natural airflow of the case plus it can add some additional cooling for the giant CPU cooler heatsink

I removed the dust filter but kept the mesh top cover on...I thought removing the dust filter would be enough as filters are only supposed to be used for intake fans...

Last edited:

Kalik212

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
only thing you might find is if you don't remove the foam mesh from top of case it can get dusty, or that could just be my PC since I have negative pressure. It probably won't happen to you.

so you don't have a top cover on at all in your system?....or did you just remove the dust filter but left the mesh cover?

Colif

Win 11 Master
My case doesn't have a top dust filter, its got the foam that is attached to the removable lid. The newer Fractal cases have a removable dust filter and the foam in the removable lid.

I just clean it every few weeks using a vacuum cleaner to try to keep it black. Its due again.

I know more isn't better but he bought fan and wanted to use it. My 1st post asked if he really needed it.