Question Fractal Nexus+ smart hub

Jimbob999

Commendable
Jul 29, 2020
So I thought it would be a good idea to add some more fans to the system and bought a couple of Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM to add to the mix.

I have a Fractal R6 case that has a Nexus+ Smart Hub which all my existing fans are connected to. There is the CPU fan connected at FAN1 (4 pin), while the 3 case fans are connected at FAN7/8/9 which are 3 pin connectors.

I added the Noctua fans to ports FAN2/3 (4 pin), and they worked. I played around with the AI suite that came with my MB and noticed that the 3 original case fans had stopped. I tried playing around with the BIOS (not really knowing what I was doing, and trying to reset it), but have had no luck so far. As a result, I now only have the CPU fan and 2 new Noctua fans working and the other 3 fans are stationary.

I tested the 3 3pin fans in the 4 pins slots and they all booted up just fine. So for some reason they no do not work in the 3 pin slots, since adding the two new fans.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Processor: Intel Core i5-9600K CPU,
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Case
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B360-H Motherboard
Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory (2 x 16GB Sticks)
OS Drive: 1TB Seagate Firecuda 510 M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive
Secondary Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB BarraCuda 7200RPM Hard Disk
Power Supply: Corsair CX650 80 PLUS Bronze 650W PSU

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Power Supply: Corsair CX650 80 PLUS Bronze 650W PSU
How old is the PSU in your build? Considering that the fan hub needs external power from the PSU, I'd lean on the PSU being unable to deliver power to all your devices, let alone the fan hub. Try and work with a donor PSU that's reliably built to see if the fan hub(and fans) regains life.

Jimbob999

Commendable
Jul 29, 2020
It's only a couple of years old, so was hoping that wouldn't be the issue, but the PSU was the only thing I could come up with. Thanks for the comment, and I'll see what I can do.