Fractal R2 watercooled [pics inside]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
A pump shouldn't get that hot to melt electrical tape. I know DDC's typically run a little warm compared to D5's, but even then, that's scary. I know a lot of people that use heatsinks for the bottom of their DDC's and then elevate the mount via standoffs and screws.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...g_DDC_Series_-_HTS-PMP400.html?tl=g30c107s156

ex-pmp-107.jpg

This is just one example, but what I was talking about. Swiftech does have something almost identical.

grandpatzer

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
The Gpu core temps are 55c and the other gpu 52c.

Looking at Laing specifications the pump has maximum system temperature 60c.

I guess I'm still on the safe side?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
My GPUs at load never exceed 45C at load for extended periods of time (4-5 hours) using GPU processing in BOINC @100%. This isn't as rough as Furmark or other benching software, but it's considerably more than most games push cards.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
My point is that you still shouldn't see temps that high. If your GPUs are pushing 50% or 100%, they really shouldn't be more than 1-2C difference in temps; you aren't increasing the heat load in watts by a significant amount that would cause a difference of 10C.

grandpatzer

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Ah ok I got it.

I think the only component that can take damage is the pump then?
I can't see how 55c harms the tubing or any other part of watercooling?

I'ts a 10w Laing DDC-1t that I'm running at 63% so it should be about 7.5volts or 6.3watts I think.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
i dont think that is what he is trying to say, the problem is the temps are too high, and the way that the blocks are installed might be the problem. I have ugly computers and no air flow through the case, it is basically a passive system. not to mention the fact that the video cards I have, run hot, the 8800 ultra under air cooling ran at idol 135 F under water cooling 113 F. so there is defiantly something wrong here, but what it is I can't say for shore, without knowing how you installed the block and with what material you used for that perpose.

grandpatzer

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
well on air it would be 80c+, so 55c is atleast 25c less compared to air.

Considering the other GPU is 52c I would think the water temperature is 52c or less, so the pump should be safe.

grandpatzer

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
well it stabilized at 54c and 52c so I guess the cards are only 2c different then?

So what is the water temp, I would imagine it being lower then 52c or same so 52c.
It can't be higher then 52c because then the GPU would have to be more then 52c.