Frame being limited

Hitokiri Battousai

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Hello, I am currently having this problem, on almost any games, I am kinda experiencing low fps.

Example.

I play AC4 Black Flag, and I get 40 fps max on 1600x900, ultra, now I turn that right down to 800x600 lowest and still I get limited frames.

Same is true with GTA IV, and CSGO and DOTA2 ( which are far lighter than AC4 and GTA IV).

My specs are :

FX6300
R9 270X
N68C-GS FX ( low-end, will switch when I get my new board Asrock 970 )
4GB RAM Kingston
Aerocool 600W PSU

Driver Catalyst 13.12

I have a feeling that it may be the ram. I recently bought the FX6300, upgrading from a Athlon II X2 250, and thought that it will solve the bottleneck issues.

I do not know, the cpu seems to be a big jump from the previous one, but still no improvement. It just sped up my pc but not the games.

Solution
It's not the RAM, because RAM really does not make that big of a difference to games. I've never heard of more than a 2-3 fps increase from faster RAM, mostly just loading and such speeds up a bit.

I can think of 2 possible causes.

The FX-6300 and R9 270X draw relatively high amounts of power. Perhaps switching to the FX-6300 is stressing your PSU too much to power the components fully. Aerocool power supplies aren't the worst, but they're not very good either.

It's also possible your motherboard isn't supplying enough wattage to the CPU. Your motherboard is older and may not be set up to handle the wattage required for a 6-core Vishera CPU.

coolguybaddude

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Improvising GPU has much more importance than jumping to a better CPU regarding games. Some softwares are CPU oriented. Also besides the resolution there are many other determining tools like AA etc. Also as you have mentioned RAM is worth noticing; but won't give you a drastic change as it's just a faster memory stand than hdd not a processing unit. Still try improving both RAM & GPU or try lowering the quality from ultra. Hope it Helps

Hitokiri Battousai

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

You seem to have skipped reading the entirety of the message.

Whatever the resolution and or the settings are all I kept getting was like 40max on almost all of the games, I can't even reach 60 most of the time on DOTA2 which isn't as highly as gpu intensive as the other games I mentioned.. So surely there seems to be a problem right? Like for example ( which is a real scenario ), I run GTA IV highest settings, and I get max rates 60 inside, 15 lowest rate outside. So I change it to lower settings so I get smooth gameplay, then I noticed I kept getting same results even on 800x600 lowest settings ( low texture, low shadows, low reflections, low anisotropic filtering etc etc.).

coolguybaddude

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Hope you are not limiting fps as such option are provided in games or elsewhere. Also certain games may not be using the hardware properly which may be due to the software setup of the game. Also I have tried such variation with change of ~ 20-30 fps. Must have tried common techniques of updating drivers... I think!!!

It's not the RAM, because RAM really does not make that big of a difference to games. I've never heard of more than a 2-3 fps increase from faster RAM, mostly just loading and such speeds up a bit.

I can think of 2 possible causes.

The FX-6300 and R9 270X draw relatively high amounts of power. Perhaps switching to the FX-6300 is stressing your PSU too much to power the components fully. Aerocool power supplies aren't the worst, but they're not very good either.

It's also possible your motherboard isn't supplying enough wattage to the CPU. Your motherboard is older and may not be set up to handle the wattage required for a 6-core Vishera CPU.

Solution

Hitokiri Battousai

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
I figured it out, by installing CPUID CPU-Z, I noticed that when on load the cpu downclocks to 1.4Ghz.

Then I checked the settings in the bios of my ASRock, went to the cpu settings, and turned off cpu throttle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_frequency_scaling.

By doing so, I now get normal frames.

TRENDING THREADS