Frame capping and G-Sync?

InfamousGeezer

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
From what I understand about G-Sync it will match the frame rate of my GPU. However if I was to use RivaTuner to cap my frame rate does this hinder G-Sync?

Here's an example of what I'm currently doing. I am playing Doom and when V-Sync is off within the game. The max fps is 200fps. My monitors refresh rate is 165hz when overclocked. I don't want my GPU & CPU trying to push out frames it can't display so I'm choosing to cap the frame rate with RivaTuner to 165hz. Here's what's bothering me. Does using RivaTuner have the same effect as running V-Sync? Does it have the same problems that V-Sync has such as stutters and input lag? What's the best way to cap frame rate without any penalties using G-Sync?

Solution
Rivatuner does not hinder G-Sync however it did cause some problems with my free sync display. No rivatuner does not have the same effect as vsync. Vsync synchronizes the frame rate of the game with the monitor refresh rate for better stability but introduces input lag. However since rivatuner is just a frame limiter it does not introduce input lag nor stutters. Use RTSS and cap 2-3 frames under your monitors max refresh rate so 162hz in your case. Disable vsync in game and smooth as butter.Set pre-rendered frames to 1 to minimize input lag since high pre-rendered frames = input lag but more fps , low pre-rendered frames = normal fps less input lag.

DustyDanglerX

Distinguished
Rivatuner does not hinder G-Sync however it did cause some problems with my free sync display. No rivatuner does not have the same effect as vsync. Vsync synchronizes the frame rate of the game with the monitor refresh rate for better stability but introduces input lag. However since rivatuner is just a frame limiter it does not introduce input lag nor stutters. Use RTSS and cap 2-3 frames under your monitors max refresh rate so 162hz in your case. Disable vsync in game and smooth as butter.Set pre-rendered frames to 1 to minimize input lag since high pre-rendered frames = input lag but more fps , low pre-rendered frames = normal fps less input lag.

Solution