Question Frame drop on my laptop

Hsmad91

Prominent
Oct 14, 2019
I bought this laptop 1 year ago and it was fine with everything
after like 6 months my laptop started overheating so I bought for it fan pad and it returned good now after another 6 months the problem started again and I don’t what’s the problem I’ve noticed that the cpu usage going up and down

thing i’tried
reset this pc
use throttle stop
update drivers
undervolt my cpu

my specs
16 GB of ram
1 tb of storage
core i7 8550u 2.00Ghz
radeon 530
Thank you

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
You probably need to take it apart and give it a good dusting and maybe a new application of thermal paste. Sounds like it's just thermal throttling. Make sure you swap the paste on both cpu and gpu die.

Hsmad91

Prominent
Oct 14, 2019
Not on idle it’s on load 60c-70c
idle 50c
and begins to throttle 95c-100c

Edit: my laptop don’t reach to 95c it only goes 80c maximum

Last edited:
Maybe GPU needs thermal paste.

The CPU throttling is totally manufacturer dependant. They can set the bios to throttle at any temperature they want. I'm doubtful they let your laptop get anywhere near 100C because you have to keep in mind that laptops have other design constraints. Like they don't want the palmrest to get to certain temperatures or other nearby components to get too hot on the motherboard.

Just record your CPU and GPU speed with MSI afterburner or similar program to see which one is throttling.

Hsmad91

Prominent
Oct 14, 2019

The CPU throttling is totally manufacturer dependant. They can set the bios to throttle at any temperature they want. I'm doubtful they let your laptop get anywhere near 100C because you have to keep in mind that laptops have other design constraints. Like they don't want the palmrest to get to certain temperatures or other nearby components to get too hot on the motherboard.

Just record your CPU and GPU speed with MSI afterburner or similar program to see which one is throttling.
its the gpu because it goes to like 90C
so I‘ll apply the thermal paste

Hsmad91

Prominent
Oct 14, 2019

But my in game it shows gpu 100% and cpu 10% and the cpu usage dropping up and down