Question Frame drops after upgrading to Windows 10 (Firefox, YouTube)

Jan 17, 2020
I've upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (installed on my SSD) to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1909.
Since then, I've dropped frames on YouTube using Firefox at 1440p60 (VP9 308) and at 2160p (VP9 313).
I used to play them smoothly without a single frame lost using Firefox in Windows 7.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit is installed in my HDD on the same computer and I can play 1440p60 and 2160p without frame drops using the same Firefox version.
I've 1080p monitor, but I prefer to play higher res, because of the video quality is much better (higher bitrate).
I've tried enabling/disabling WebRender, WebGL, Hardware Acceleration. I've tried Firefox Portable, older versions and reinstalling Firefox. Nothing works...
VLC media player can play the same videos (VP9 1440p60, 2160p24to30) smoothly, no matter if I use Windows 7 or 10.
I've the latest NVIDIA drivers, and the latest Firefox version.

My machine:
Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.67 (stock)
8GB RAM DDR3 1333Mhz Dual-Channel CL9
MSI GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5
GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 Motherboard
Kingston A400 SSD 240GB

Last edited:
Hello

If the latest graphics driver has the issue, please try rolling it back to an earlier built and see if it helps.

You can even try cleaning up your C: driver with the Disk Cleanup tool and see if freeing up the disk space rectifies the issue.

Also, many time upgrading to a newer OS isn't a good thing to do as it may decrease your PC's performance. Installing Windows 10 afresh is something you may want to try and see if it does the trick.

Feel free to report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!!

Jan 17, 2020
I had this issue before I upgraded to the latest graphic driver... so it's not the problem.
I've about 70GB free in drive C: where the OS is installed, so I think free space is not the problem.
I've upgraded because Microsoft had stopped supporting Windows 7... But besides this issue I've no other complaints.
I think it might be a problem with Windows 10 scaling.
I had an issue with DOSBox that had been solved by changing the output to OpenGL:
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=71407

Jan 17, 2020
CPU ~55% load
GPU ~60% load

CPU temperature is pretty high. Cores are up to 99C under load and around 50C in idle.
I guess I need to replace thermal paste? Because cores were up to 99C under load since I bought the computer in 2010. I use Arictic Alpine 11 rev2 cooling. The CPU high temp never caused the computer to shut down.
GPU is less then 40C and around 32C in idle.

However I don't thing this is hardware issue, because it works fine in Windows 7 or in VLC (both in Win 10 and 7).

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
CPU ~55% load
GPU ~60% load

CPU temperature is pretty high. Cores are up to 99C under load and around 50C in idle.
I guess I need to replace thermal paste? Because cores were up to 99C under load since I bought the computer in 2010. I use Arictic Alpine 11 rev2 cooling. The CPU high temp never caused the computer to shut down.
GPU is less then 40C and around 32C in idle.

However I don't thing this is hardware issue, because it works fine in Windows 7 or in VLC (both in Win 10 and 7).
High temperature is the real cause of your lag and 99C is too high.
Can you again try installing Windows 7 before getting new thermal paste. I just want to be confirm that high temperature is caused by thermal paste or Windows 10.
Anyways,you should get a new thermal paste as it may fix high temperature.

Jan 17, 2020
If it work fine in Windows 7 and VLC in both then perform malware scan. It can also be due to virus.
I think there are two different problems: CPU overheating and frame drops in Windows 10 using Firefox.
CPU temperatures are the same using Windows 7 and VLC and I don't have malware in my computer.
( I have Win7 Ultimate 64 bit installed on my HDD, and Win10 Pro 64 bit installed on my SSD - I've upgraded from Win7)

Concerning the high CPU's cores temperatures. They were the same since I bought the computer in 2010.
Back then I used to think it was normal, because the CPU never makes the computer to shut down.
I suspected that the person who installed it forgot to put thermal paste, but now I understand that my cooling comes with "pre-applied ARCTIC MX-2 thermal compound" https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/a11.html
I think Alpine 11 Rev 2 also comes with it. However it's a good idea to replace the old thermal paste and clean the CPU's heatsink and fan, especially after removing the heatsink.
Now I think that the heatsink is just not installed correctly... or maybe it even comes faulty from factory.
I think the fan itself is working good, and it's about 2050 RPM at load (that's the maximal RPM written in it's specs)

If I send here a picture, can you tell me if the cooling is installed correctly? Because I don't know how it should be installed. The heatsink is tight and seated-on good, but maybe I need to rotate it 90 degrees?

Right now I think I'm using only about 70% of my CPU non-OC potential at load, and if I will OC it (after fixing the cooling problem) I can get 150%.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
I think there are two different problems: CPU overheating and frame drops in Windows 10 using Firefox.
CPU temperatures are the same using Windows 7 and VLC and I don't have malware in my computer.

Concerning the high CPU's cores temperatures. They were the same since I bought the computer in 2010.
Back then I used to think it was normal, because the CPU never makes the computer to shut down.
I suspected that the person who installed it forgot to put thermal paste, but now I understand that my cooling comes with "pre-applied ARCTIC MX-2 thermal compound" https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/a11.html
I think Alpine 11 Rev 2 also comes with it. However it's a good idea to replace the old thermal paste and clean the CPU's heatsink and fan, especially after removing the heatsink.
Now I think that the heatsink is just not installed correctly... or maybe it even comes faulty from factory.
I think the fan itself is working good, and it's about 2050 RPM at load (that's the maximal RPM written in it's specs)

If I send here a picture, can you tell me if the cooling is installed correctly? Because I don't know how it should be installed. The heatsink is tight and seated-on good, but maybe I need to rotate it 90 degrees?

Right now I think I'm using only about 70% of my CPU non-OC potential at load, and if I will OC it (after fixing the cooling problem) I can get 150%.
They are actually same! Due to high temperature your frame rate is reduced.
You have only to solve high temperature, your problem of frame rate will automatically solved.

You can share the picture but I may not be able to tell exactly that you are wrong or right because in a single photo I can't get the whole details.
There are many videos regarding that on YouTube, you can take a look on those videos or you can simply contact the person that install the PC and tell him about the high temperature.

If you have a very good cooling the you can get maximum performance from your CPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: TejasAnand

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
I don't know how is your CPU is working in 99°C as it is too high temperature, it may damage you CPU and you are running you PC for nearly 10 years with this temperature. Your PC is even better than mine! A SUPER COMPUTER!
Mine CPU temperature rarely goes above 60°C in full 💯 % stress. And at normal it is between 30-35°C. I have a 240mm liquid cooling system.

Last edited: