Question Frame Drops (need help/tips to fix it)

sixblacknine

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
So i have severe drops in games like Overwatch, before it was totally fine but never 100% perfect.
I run a gtx 1080 and most settings are either turned off or set to low and i was easily able to maintain around 240 fps.

now the card barely stays at it and keeps dropping which results in stutters and the overall gameplay just feels extremly laggy and not smooth anymore.

My card is usually at around 40-60% usage when gaming so i don't know if it's related to that or if it's a major issue with my pc, which is a fairly new build, no junk installed, nothing is overheating, and i've done the basic optimizations as i always do.

Also, i cap my frames to 235 ingame for gsync and i use reflex(even though i don't know if using it makes sense if i'm not gpu bound). so it will put me down to like 225 fps and even then it keeps dropping below, no matter what cap i use, it will always fall under the cap and causes stutter and all that stuff.

So if anyone here can help me out and knows what's going on and can help me to make my game "playable" again without me having to deal with stutters etc, i'd greatly appreciate it, seriously!

System Specs: 16gb ram @3.6k
CPU: amd r9 3900x oc'd with CTR @ 4.3 base

drives are one SSD and one NVME for my system.

If you need more informations please let me know.

So i have severe drops in games like Overwatch, before it was totally fine but never 100% perfect.
I run a gtx 1080 and most settings are either turned off or set to low and i was easily able to maintain around 240 fps.

now the card barely stays at it and keeps dropping which results in stutters and the overall gameplay just feels extremly laggy and not smooth anymore.

My card is usually at around 40-60% usage when gaming so i don't know if it's related to that or if it's a major issue with my pc, which is a fairly new build, no junk installed, nothing is overheating, and i've done the basic optimizations as i always do.

Also, i cap my frames to 235 ingame for gsync and i use reflex(even though i don't know if using it makes sense if i'm not gpu bound). so it will put me down to like 225 fps and even then it keeps dropping below, no matter what cap i use, it will always fall under the cap and causes stutter and all that stuff.

So if anyone here can help me out and knows what's going on and can help me to make my game "playable" again without me having to deal with stutters etc, i'd greatly appreciate it, seriously!

System Specs: 16gb ram @3.6k
CPU: amd r9 3900x oc'd with CTR @ 4.3 base

drives are one SSD and one NVME for my system.

If you need more informations please let me know.

I don't know why everything used to be fine and now you're having this issue, but generally speaking Ryzen 3000 Series CPUs are far from ideal for high refresh rate gaming. Depending on your motherboard, I'd personally recommend a CPU upgrade to the Ryzen 5000 series.

sixblacknine

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
I don't know why everything used to be fine and now you're having this issue, but generally speaking Ryzen 3000 Series CPUs are far from ideal for high refresh rate gaming. Depending on your motherboard, I'd personally recommend a CPU upgrade to the Ryzen 5000 series.
yeah i literally have no clue, i could literally see and feel the drop in performance, maybe it's just setup incorrectly, for example, i don't know if i need Reflex if i'm not gpu bound in games like OW, or if it's simply because my gpu is not giving everything it can in order to push out the frames(which should defo be possible since i've seen 1060s and 70s going for 200-240+ fps), so my 1080 should have no problem with it.