Question Frame/FPS drops in-game when loading in new assets

Dec 26, 2019
My relatively new gaming laptop that I bought about 2 months ago has FPS issues that seem to be correlated with games loading in new assets/models/map segments. When these FPS drops don't occure the performance I get seems to be normal for the specs inside it and has no stability issues, drivers and OS are up-to-date and no programs or weird processes clog up the CPU/GPU usage.

HP Omen 17-an105ns specs:
  • GTX 1070
  • i7-8750H
  • 32GB of DDR4 RAM (2666Mhz, dual channel)
  • 512GB SSD (Samsung, OS drive)
  • 1TB HDD (7200RPM)
I would also like to describe the issues with some of the games I play that could maybe give a better idea of the symptoms:
  • (HDD) Far Cry 5: 10-15, very noticeable, FPS drops that occure when running/driving around, otherwise the game runs on ultra settings with 70+ fps
  • (SSD) GTA V: stutters that mostly occure in multiplayer when driving around. The city is where it gets the worst and the more players in session the worse it is. Otherwise 60+ FPS on very high settings.
  • (SSD) Deus Ex Human Revolution: worst case out of all of them, massive FPS drops even from just looking around in a new area, otherwise constant 115 FPS (thats the cap that I set for most games with Rivatuner for the optimal G-Sync experience)
  • (HDD) Titanfall 2: when running around the map the experience is not smooth (somewhat stuttery) but playable, FPS stay above 100 consistently. What most sticks out to me is that when I played my first match, switching to my secondary weapon caused a very noticeable FPS drop, this hasn't happened since.
  • (SSD) Rainbow Six Siege: the most unnafected out of the bunch, no big FPS drops but I can still feel some small drops when moving around.
I will admit that my Nvidia driver is 2 versions behind the most recent one at the time of writing this (441.20) but I don't think that its that big of a deal and I'm a bit reluctant to updating them due to my past experience where it seems it messes everything up. I'm thankful for all the help in advance and any suggestion is appreciated!

TL;DR: FPS drops in games when looking and moving around. Software is up-to-date or fairly recent and games suffer from this regardless of where they reside (HDD/SSD).

ASK THE COMMUNITY