[SOLVED] Frame Rate drops to 0 Randomly

Apr 28, 2020
Good Afternoon,

I have recently built my first PC with the below specs. It all works fine however when ever i boot up Assassins Creed Odyssey the frame rate varies from 138 - 0. I have the settings on the lowest and default settings for my CPU and GPU. I ran a test and the GPU and CPU spike when the frame rate drops to 0. Not sure if this is a CPU or GPU issue. I have all the updated support packages for my GPU. I havent overclocked the CPU as its only stock called currently. Waiting on delivery of a Corsair 115i AIO.

Specs are:

Ryzen 3700x
16GB DDR4 3600 RAM
MSI X570 Gaming PRO
850w Corsair PSU
AMD RX5700 XT

I know the RX5700 XT has driver issues but with the CPU spiking as well, i didnt know if this an issue as Assassins Creed Odyssey does seem to be CPU heavy. I dont expect it to be a power problem is 850w is easily enough to cover the specs whilst giving me upgrade room.

I also tested Call of Duty Battle Royale and Total War Warhammer II and neither game drops any frames at the highest resolution.

Any help would be much appreciated as its my first PC build.

Solution
Good Afternoon,

I have recently built my first PC with the below specs. It all works fine however when ever i boot up Assassins Creed Odyssey the frame rate varies from 138 - 0. I have the settings on the lowest and default settings for my CPU and GPU. I ran a test and the GPU and CPU spike when the frame rate drops to 0. Not sure if this is a CPU or GPU issue. I have all the updated support packages for my GPU. I havent overclocked the CPU as its only stock called currently. Waiting on delivery of a Corsair 115i AIO.

Specs are:

Ryzen 3700x
16GB DDR4 3600 RAM
MSI X570 Gaming PRO
850w Corsair PSU
AMD RX5700 XT

I know the RX5700 XT has driver issues but with the CPU spiking as well, i didnt know if this an issue as Assassins Creed...
Apr 29, 2020
1. Use DDU to uninstall drivers and do a fresh install 2. Update your BIOS 3. Update your chipset drivers 3. Update windows 4. Use high performance mode 5. Disable PCIe 4, enable PCIe 3, this helps with bandwidth issues, especially on x570 chipset

Good Afternoon,

Specs are:

Ryzen 3700x
16GB DDR4 3600 RAM
MSI X570 Gaming PRO
850w Corsair PSU
AMD RX5700 XT

I know the RX5700 XT has driver issues but with the CPU spiking as well, i didnt know if this an issue as Assassins Creed Odyssey does seem to be CPU heavy. I dont expect it to be a power problem is 850w is easily enough to cover the specs whilst giving me upgrade room.

I also tested Call of Duty Battle Royale and Total War Warhammer II and neither game drops any frames at the highest resolution.

Any help would be much appreciated as its my first PC build.
CPU should "spike" as they boost from idle and then drop back to 'deep sleep' to lower power consumption. That's what Ryzen's, up to 100 times per second, do so it's perfectly normal.

Definitely make sure your motherboard is updated to the latest BIOS. Also latest chipset drivers but get those from the AMD support web site, and install them AFTER you do the DDU cleanup before installing latest video drivers. Also, run the Ryzen Balanced Power plan and do not make changes.

GPU Drivers have been pretty much fixed up for 5700's, so be sure to update to the latest. But do a 'clean install' by uninstalling then nuking any settings and bits that remain by cleaning up with DDU before installing the latest. DDU can also remove bits of chipset drivers so that's why you do that install after.

Depends on your particular board but overclocking a 5700 is often not nearly as productive as just undervolting while raising the power limit. Lowering the voltage helps the GPU keep a bit cooler and maintain steady clock speeds.

Solution