[SOLVED] Frame rate lower than other laptop with same specs

AnshGupta01

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
Hey guys, I have a ASUS TUF FX505GT gaming laptop with i5-9300h GTX 1650 8GB ram 2666mhz single channel..
I bought this laptop just a few days ago after checking the fps of the games I play from youtube and finally getting this model.
My problem is that I do not get the same fps as other people get on these specs, Im not even close to them.
On GTA V with max settings, other people on youtube get 70-90fps in the benchmark where as I get only 40-60fps, btw they use 16gb ram in dual channel....
Even with gta low settings my fps do not increase much whereas with others they get upto 180fps.

My gpu and cpu temps are mostly normal when I check them using MSI Afterburner, and also CPU and GPU both dont go above 50-60% of usage in most games and do not pull the same fps as others do.
My ram on the other hand gets full in most games like GTAV (95-98%).

All I want to ask is, as my pc is not thermal throttling there shouldnt be an FPS drop due to that, so should i upgrade my ram by buying another 8gb stick to run dual channel??
I am really confused as I have configured every driver and every setting correctly and even fresh installed windows from microsofts website.

Please help me out with this..
Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Can you link some of these videos with the exact configurations? Many times, when people say there are identical configurations, the configurations turn out to be not-so-identical and sometimes quite different. It's hard to know what you're looking at without any way for us to look at what your'e looking at.

For example, I would certainly not expect you to be getting 70-90 FPS on maxed out GTA V with a 1650 and this CPU.

109772.png

This isn't even "maxed out," either. And this is on a CPU that's more powerful than yours.

If your RAM is getting maxed out, then that's a problem. I'd look against at how much RAM GTA V is using and how much your other stuff is using. Because if...

DSzymborski

Titan
Can you link some of these videos with the exact configurations? Many times, when people say there are identical configurations, the configurations turn out to be not-so-identical and sometimes quite different. It's hard to know what you're looking at without any way for us to look at what your'e looking at.

For example, I would certainly not expect you to be getting 70-90 FPS on maxed out GTA V with a 1650 and this CPU.

109772.png

This isn't even "maxed out," either. And this is on a CPU that's more powerful than yours.

If your RAM is getting maxed out, then that's a problem. I'd look against at how much RAM GTA V is using and how much your other stuff is using. Because if you're running out of RAM, you're going to take a huge performance hit and there are a lot of settings in GTA V that can use a lot of RAM.

Note that you also take a small additional hit with a laptop 1650. While the guts are the same, the laptop 1650s are clocked a bit lower.

Solution

AnshGupta01

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017

109772.png

If your RAM is getting maxed out, then that's a problem. I'd look against at how much RAM GTA V is using and how much your other stuff is using. Because if you're running out of RAM, you're going to take a huge performance hit and there are a lot of settings in GTA V that can use a lot of RAM.

Note that you also take a small additional hit with a laptop 1650. While the guts are the same, the laptop 1650s are clocked a bit lower.
At about 1:38 mark in this video,his fps hit close to 80-90 whereas mine stays near 50-60
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1hjR0VEgF4&t=146s

My and this youtuber's laptop config is exactly the same except the fact he is using dual channel memory 16gig.

my ram maxes out when i monitor it using MSI Afterburner

Some thoughts:

1. Are you plugged in while gaming?
By default your performance will be lower on battery to conserve run time.
It will use integrated graphics instead of your discrete GTX1650.
2. 8gb of ram may not be sufficient. If you are not using a ssd for windows, a page fault on a 5400rpm drive will take painfully long and look like a lack of cpu capability.
If you are not running on a ssd, look to get one. It makes all the difference in the world to a laptop.
3. single channel ram operation is slower than dual channel. Particularly bad on integrated graphics.
Adding ram is a good idea. Go to a ram web site like crucial or kingston and access their ram upgrade app.
Enter the make/model of your laptop and you will get a list of supported ram upgrades.

AnshGupta01

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
Some thoughts:

1. Are you plugged in while gaming?
By default your performance will be lower on battery to conserve run time.
It will use integrated graphics instead of your discrete GTX1650.
2. 8gb of ram may not be sufficient. If you are not using a ssd for windows, a page fault on a 5400rpm drive will take painfully long and look like a lack of cpu capability.
If you are not running on a ssd, look to get one. It makes all the difference in the world to a laptop.
3. single channel ram operation is slower than dual channel. Particularly bad on integrated graphics.
Adding ram is a good idea. Go to a ram web site like crucial or kingston and access their ram upgrade app.
Enter the make/model of your laptop and you will get a list of supported ram upgrades.
yes ofc im plugged in while gaming, i have m.2 nvme ssd in which the game is installed, high performance gpu definately runs cause i check it using MSI Afterburner and also im not gonna get 60fps on ultra with iGPU any time soon...

I think im gonna buy ram tommorow, any suggestions though? definately ram prob or something else?

I think it unlikely that ram is the issue unless you have many apps open while gaming.
Look at task manager/performance tab resource monitor.
On the memory tab check the hard faults/second. If you see anything more than0, it indicates a lack of sufficient ram.

AnshGupta01

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
Hey guys, I upgraded my ram to Dual Channel 16GB and now finally I get my performance as expected, thanks a lot..

If anyone sees this thread do upgrade your ram to dual channel for best results