Frame rate maniac

squirrel

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
I recently bought a nice 1200 MHz DDR Athlon, and I thought games would run fast like never before. I thought the CPU was the main influence on game speed - duh, I was wrong.

I have an Asus GeForce2 V7100T MX-200 32MB, which I rapidly found had really poor performances! I found myself running mostly in 640x480x16 to achieve the frames rates I find acceptable, while a friend of mine, using a PentiumIII 800 was able to reach unbelievable frame rates in 1280x960x32!!! I guess he has some Asus GeForce2 V7700 Pro, I'm not sure of the exact model tho...

Now I want a card that's going to bring me good frame rates! That's the most important thing for me.

I'd like to stay in the NVidia GeForce2 or 3 (not ATI Radeon, not Kyro, etc). I think I'm going to go for an "ASUS V7700 Deluxe" or an "ASUS V7700 Pro", but I don't know the difference. I don't know what's with the "GTS" cards either... And I need a composite video out too, like I have one on my actual card (with an S-Video that I don't use because my TV has only a composite video input).

Tell me what you think, am I wrong ? I just want good FRAME RATES, but I'm not ready for a too huge investment like a GeForce3 Ti500 (my actual dream card) :p

<font color=green>frogs blast the vent core !</font color=green> :eek:

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Your friends card has DDR ram i think, it is a pro version. GTS cards use DDR.

Differece between Asus deluxe and Asus pure is that deluxe comes with 3d glasses which are nice but a bit of a novelty, and also they have video in and video out connectors, which includes composite. If your television has a euro scart input, you can easily pick up a lead that has scart on one end and SVHS and phono on the other.

getting a decent vid card will certainly sort out your fps. If you dont want to pay for a geforce 3ti500 but want near performance, go for the ti200 model. Cheaper, and still very nice. This still all depends on your motherboard though - does it support 4X AGP? I suspect it does if it supports DDR RAM. If not then you will need a new MB as well but that is a whole new issue. Details of which you can find on previous threads.

The ATI radeon 8500 is a very good performer and where i live it is around the same money as a geforce 3ti200.

squirrel

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Of course that's what I mean... gives you a better idea of the system without having to enumerate everything...

Anyway I thought using a DDR board with DDR ram required a specific CPU to use with "DDR"... (I guess it would work with non-DDR cpus, but, like, not at double fsb speed)

Anyways, I like to hear answers to the actual question in the thread... which is a wise graphics card choice... tx

squirrel

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
I have a MSI K7Pro 266 mobo, it supports 4x AGP indeed.

Also, I learnt that my friend's card was an ASUS 7700 Deluxe... (he's had it for about a year now)

I heard there were some issues with Ti200 cards... not sure... I could get a card like my friend's for about HALF the price of the Ti200... is it worth the investment ?

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
It's up to you really. Like you said, it would be an investment. As new games come out, you may start to find out that the 7700 can't handle them as well. But this may be quite a long way off. The geforce 3's have more features, and the radeon 8500 have even more.

you've seen your friends card in action. do you know anyone that has a gf3 or an 8500 that you could check out? Then you can make an experienced decision better