Frame rates drop after some time

halum5cz

Commendable
Jan 18, 2019
Hello guys, so it seems like my frame rates drop after playing for like 2 hours. Lately I've been playing Witcher 3 a lot and I've noticed that when my PC has been running a few hours my FPS begins to drop. :??: It started happening in last two days. I'm wondering it might be due to the last driver update but I'm not sure. When I boot up the PC and start playing it's ok, but after playing for like 2 or 3 hours the game begins to stutter a lot. FPS is dropping from like 75 to 50. I've also noticed that it mostly happens when the GPU is under 100% utilization in CPUID HWMonitor. I use Win 10 Home and my GPU is MSI GTX 1060 6gb. I've also cheched the temps and that seems to be all right. So guys, please tell me what is wrong with my PC? :)

Solution
Well at least you know what it's not.
You mentioned the driver....I wouldn't think the driver would start causing problems after 2-3 hours....but maybe roll it back.
The thing is.....many times what I find.....if something starts acting up after a period of time....it's the voltage or the temps.
You might want to check the PSU voltages.

As PSUs heat up they generally can't deliver the power they could when cold.

HWINfo usually will generally give you the voltages (I think which ones it gives you depends on your MB)...but three important ones are +12, +5 and + 3.3 and they should all be within 5% of those values.

halum5cz

Commendable
Jan 18, 2019

I checked the voltages when I was playing. They seem to be OK.

Well at least you know what it's not.
You mentioned the driver....I wouldn't think the driver would start causing problems after 2-3 hours....but maybe roll it back.
The thing is.....many times what I find.....if something starts acting up after a period of time....it's the voltage or the temps.

Solution

halum5cz

Commendable
Jan 18, 2019

Well, the temps on GPU never go higher than 67°C and 54°C on CPU. There is maybe one more thing that may cause this. My HDD is running on 7200 rpm and that causes it to heat up to 35°C when playing a game. I bought it just recentely though. So I wonder if my HDD struggles to load the textures and then the FPS drops....

cbrocks06

Proper
Dec 27, 2018

no ssd? how many watts is your psu?

halum5cz

Commendable
Jan 18, 2019

I have SSD for system and HDD for games and other stuff. My PSU is 650W Cooler Master, which is enough for my system. :D