Question Frame time spikes in ALL capture programs (but not in games)

Aug 8, 2022
Every capture software I use to try to record games has intermittent frametime spikes that result in extremely annoying stutter. This happens whether I am recording PC games, or recording from a capture card (that is connected to a PCIE slot on my motherboard), but the actual games themselves run fine.

I have tried OBS, Geforce Experience, Elgato's 4K Capture Utility, and Virtual Dub, and all of these programs have this same frame time stutter, despite the games themselves not lagging/stuttering at all.

I have tried every manner of solution I can think of, drivers, Windows versions, V-sync settings, unplugging and changing monitor frame rates (I run 3), I've even built 2 entirely different PC's with completely different hardware. Nothing has fixed this issue.

Here is an image I analyzed with a frame rate tool just to see what's going on with the frametimes, I should reiterate that the frametimes and lag seen in the image are NOT from the actual game, this only happens in the recording software itself, and despite that, a program like OBS still displays as 0 dropped frames from encoding or rendering lag. It seems fairly obvious to me that it is V-sync/display related since all of the lag occurs in pockets where the frame times increase to 33.3 ms, and somehow that's manifesting in the preview and affecting the final output file, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to resolve it.

ZkuRzCZ.jpg

My specs are:

i9-12900KF
Asus Z-690E Motherboard
Samsung 980 Pro
RTX 3080TI
EVGA 1000 Watt G6 Power Supply
64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 RAM

Let me know if I can provide any more information, and thank you for your help.

Aug 8, 2022
I have tested this with Display Capture in OBS and have found the frame times even more inconsistent and fluctuating, despite no recorded frame drops due to encoding/rendering lag. I am truly baffled here.

GQIx1N3.png