Mar 30, 2019
I've had this problem for a while, it appears that when i run the game Borderlands 1 for about 20min the game and my entire computer starts to stutter.
After doing some digging I havent found a single person with the same problem.

I've ran antivirus software, verified steam cache, reinstalled the game, reset my computer, factory reset my computer and reinstalled OS and GPU drivers, and updated BIOS.

My Specs are :
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3,40GHZ 3,4GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX1080 Founders edition
GPU2: Nvidia GTX1080 Founders edition
RAM: 32GB

And as you can see in the link i've added bellow called CPU core load, All the way to the left the game is runninng fine at a nice 240FPS, While at the end i could barely close the game because my entire computer froze up every 3 seconds.

CPU Core Laod

Any idea how the hell i can fix this or what the problem could be?

Solution
Update for anyone curious, I changed my motherboard and CPU, now the game runs perfectly at 240fps and just an occasional frame drop to 200fps.

Personally im guessing it was hardware.
Mar 30, 2019
When running Borderlands 1 or X-com 2 for 20-30 min my CPU cores load changes and starts to freeze up my computer. This goes on until i either close the game or my computer freezes completely.

I've already run antivirus software, aswell as verified the steam Cache, And i've even tried to factory reset my entire computer. and installed the OS again, I've also updated BIOS.

My specs are:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3,40GHZ 3,4GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX1080 Founders edition
GPU2: Nvidia GTX1080 Founders edition
RAM: 32GB
Here is an image of the diferrent CPU core load when this problem occurs. All the way to the left the game is running perfectly at 240FPS and when it's all the way to the left The game usually runs at 25FPS with stuttering and the stuttering is not only ingame, it's computer wide. the seconds i close the game, it works perfectly again.

Do you think this is a software error or hardware? and any suggestions for how to fix it?

Mar 30, 2019
35 degrees.

With this same setup i've run alot more intensive games. leading to way higher temps with no problem. i can't understand why a 10 year old game won't work properly

Mar 30, 2019
That i understand but don't you think the load change is weird?

and i think my CPU should be able to run fine even if it's just a few cores.
I don't really knwo tho. you guys are the experts. and i really appreciate the help!

bailojustin

Distinguished
So to be honest, I took a look at this, and is your wattage on your CPU always at 1Watt. I think that may be the issue, Try using HWINFO to see each cores voltage and wattage.

Also try disabling speed stepping.

I have a feeling the issue may also have something to do with Temps. Your temps on that CPU are WAY to stable, especially for the core fluctuations taking place. My cooler is rated double the thermal wattage of my CPU and temps still jump.

I think you may have to re seat your CPU, there may be a core or a few that are not transfering heat well.

Also Disable speed stepping and see if that helps.
ONce you DL HWINFO64 please post the sensors for the CPU while under load.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019
Update for anyone curious, I changed my motherboard and CPU, now the game runs perfectly at 240fps and just an occasional frame drop to 200fps.

Personally im guessing it was hardware.

Solution