Question Framerate good for a while, then bad.

Snorfiets

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
Hello,

I have been having an issue lately, where when I start gaming my framerate in games is fine, but after a while it suddenly tanks.

Like today, I have been playing the division 2, at about 90-145 fps (144hz monitor), and then suddenly it starts to be like 40-90 fps (sometimes even lower depending on the vegetation)

EDIT!: Forgot to add, this stays until I restart my pc, it doesn't go back to normal until I do that.

i7 8700K
1080Ti (neither overclocked, don't dip in that business)
32GB RAM (HyperX Fury - DDR4-2666)
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H
Ninja Scythe 4 cooler for CPU
And a corsair 650W PSU afaik (Don't know the details on this one)

Oh and yeah I think I noticed my cpu usage going down slightly after the framerate stuff. But if anyone knows what I need to look for to solve this, please let me know.

Snorfiets

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
I am not currently at home to confirm this, but I believe neither my cpu or gpu are having very high temps (I think it was sub 70 for my cpu and between 70-80 for my gpu)
I will need to check the logs from msi afterburner to confirm this when I am home tonight.

Snorfiets

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
well, i would monitor CPU and GPU temps to see if there is any reason that either of those two is throttling and downclocking. also, i would uninstall and reinstall nvidia driver to see if that changes anything

GPU temperature min/max was 47-75 degrees celcius.
CPU temperature min/max was 30-81 (That's what the CPU temp gauge says, the CPU 3 and 4 seem to have hit 83 though according to the min/max)

I will try and see what happens when reinstalling the nvidia drivers. Thank you

Snorfiets

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
That's definitely on the warm side.
What pc case do you have? How many fans installed?
Can you show a photo? (upload to imgur.com and post link)

Would you recommend me getting a different cooler? (Disregarding my issues anyway) I have a BeQuiet base 600 without window. Don't really have the time and energy to open it up right now and make a picture after work haha. And I believe I have just the base fans that came with the case, which I believe is just two or three.

I had some unstable framrates a few weeks ago until I donwloaded and installed the new nvidia drivers (old one was only 2 months old and games were playing fine)

It was really wierd, cause it was only in some games, not all of them. I wonder if it had something to do with a microsoft update. (never touched anything else).

But yeah, nvidia drivers and make sure the case is well ventilated and out of dust, hairs, and garbage on the heatsinks and fans.

Cheers!

Last edited: