[SOLVED] Framerate limited on non-focused processes

kurama.bingyi09

Prominent
Apr 29, 2018
I'm trying to troubleshoot why certain applications on Windows 10 lose performance when they're no longer the focused program. As an example, my framerates in Final Fantasy XIV drop down to sub-40 from 60 every time I click out of the window. Other games that are Borderless Fullscreen do the same thing.

Keeping in mind; I disabled any artificial framerate limiters in these games and processes, so I'm guessing that there is something in Windows 10 that is causing framerate drops on non-focused applications.

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 3.5GHz
Memory: 16GB 1600MHz
Motherboard: MSI Gaming 5
Graphics Card: MSI Gaming X GeForce GTX 1070 8G
Storage:
500GB NVME Samsung 960 EVO​
256GB Samsung 850 EVO​
240GB Intel SSD​
2x 1TB WD Blue HDD​
Power Supply: EVGA 750W

Solution
this is a normal function of how Windows works and not actually a problem with game

see game settings if there is anything related to background performance, as developers have option to use more system resources when theirs apps are in background
this is a normal function of how Windows works and not actually a problem with game

see game settings if there is anything related to background performance, as developers have option to use more system resources when theirs apps are in background

Solution