[SOLVED] Framerate tanking, but only during specific games?

Dec 7, 2021
Sup

My issue is essentially the title. Computer performs just fine, no real issues since building it a few years ago, except when I try to play specific games. This started around Thanksgiving.
Games that get <10fps IN GAME, but not in menus: Escape from Tarkov, New World, Risk of Rain 2, Deep Rock Galactic. Probably more, but I haven't tried many others.
Games that run just fine: Halo Infinite, League of Legends.

I've run stress tests on the CPU and GPU, and everything works as intended as far as I can tell. GPU drivers are up to date.

CPU: intel i5-8600k @ 3.60GHz
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming LGA1151 (Intel 8th Gen) DDR4 HDMI DVI M.2 Z370 ATX Motherboard with Gigabit LAN and USB 3.1
Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
SSD/HDD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 inch SATA III Internal SSD, Hitachi HUA723030ALA640 3TB Hitachi UltraStar 7K3000 HUA723030ALA640 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N107TWF2-8GD GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Windforce 8GB GDDR5
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, 220-G3-0750-X1
Monitor: multiple tested

Solution
Make sure you have the last/latest motherboard chipset drivers, they are often overlooked, but a necessary thing to have with Windows updates. Audio and Lan especially can and do affect gaming fps in a big way.

Also check bios releases.
no real issues since building it a few years ago, except when I try to play specific games.
are all games located on the same drive?
those under-performing and those running fine?

one thing you can check is the engine used to build these games.
if all of those under-performing are built on the same one you may need to reinstall some redistributables or look for some fixes available on the site for that engine.
there have been some issues with Unreal Engine over the years where installing from their SDK could improve performance.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Make sure you have the last/latest motherboard chipset drivers, they are often overlooked, but a necessary thing to have with Windows updates. Audio and Lan especially can and do affect gaming fps in a big way.

Also check bios releases.

Solution