Question Framerates, Refresh Rates, FreeSync and/or G-Sync

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
So I am currently looking at a PC build with a 3060 12GB and 12600K (later upgrade the GPU to a 4080 or similar spec GPU) and I know that practically every "modern" GPU can in most games deliver a high framerate. Framerates above Refresh Rates monitors are rated at however I have read that things like AMD Freesync or Nvidia G-sync can "solve" your PC delivering more frames than your monitor can display. How does this work and where does the "limit" come (if there is one) where G-sync or Freesync can not compensate anymore for the Framerate - Refresh Rate difference since a lot of monitors are rated at 165hz or 144hz but a lot of games record framerates of 200fps, 300fps, etc...?

You're a bit wrong on what G-sync and Freesync do.

Having more frames than your monitors refresh rate is not a problem, quite the opposite actually. The more frames your pc produces, the more recent the frames you see are.
For example, if you have a 120hz monitor and are getting 240fps in a game, you would lose half the frames yes, but each frame you have is more updated and newer than if you had 120fps on a 120hz monitor.

G-sync and freesync are actually here to solve the exact opposite problem, say, you have 60fps on a 120hz monitor, because the monitor and gpu are not synced up, you could and probably would have the monitor display the same frame twice, even though the gpu has already output a new, more updated frame.
It's hard to explain in words, you should look up in a video how all this works, but in general, if you have 90fps and your monitor is 120hz, g-sync and freesync will make your monitor run at 90fps, same as your gpu, so that you will never miss a frame or get outdated frames.
As for the limitations of it, I believe G-sync and Freesync don't work above 144fps, but if you have more than that, you really don't need them. (Don't quote me on this, might have changed, also there are multiple versions of each.)