[SOLVED] Frames drop

Sep 21, 2020
I have an ASUS AR500W computer. I bought it for my son for Christmas. He is 12 and a huge gamer. Recently I had to defrag his computer I'm not the best with PC's but not the worst either However, the frames in Roblox and Fortnite are dropping and he has to restart his PC due to the black screen and it not coming back on.
Reading this thread I went to the userbenchmark.com and ran a report. Can someone that's a little more advanced put into laymens terms what I need to do to fix this computer?? Please and thank you so much!

PC StatusOverall this PC is performing way below expectations (15th percentile). This means that out of 100 PCs with exactly the same components, 85 performed better. The overall PC percentile is the average of each of its individual components. Use the charts in the benchmark sections of this report to identify problem areas.
ProcessorWith a good single core score, this CPU can easily handle the majority of general computing tasks. Despite its good single core score this processor isn't appropriate for workstation use due to its relatively weak multi-core performance. Finally, with a gaming score of 60.7%, this CPU's suitability for 3D gaming is above average.
Graphics9.47% is a very low 3D score (RTX 2060S = 100%). This GPU can only handle very basic 3D games but it's fine for general computing tasks.
Boot DriveThe boot partition is located on a mechanical or hybrid drive. Moving the system to an SSD will yield far faster boot times, better system responsiveness and faster application load times.
Memory8GB is enough RAM to run any version of Windows and it's sufficient for the vast majority of games. 8GB is also enough for moderate file and system caches which result in a very responsive system.
OS VersionWindows 10 is the most recent version of Windows, and the best to date in our opinion.

Also, it's saying that I have a boot drive partition. How do I fix that? And what is the DSS thing that I need to get?? HELP please. And thank you!

Solution
Actually, I don't really have a budget. I spent 600 on this computer for Christmas, and don't want to have to buy another one if I don't have too. I did a complete reinstall on the windows 10 minutes ago. (Well that's when it booted back up) I'm currently updating windows as we speak.
The only thing I could find in the actual glass was this.. It's a 500W AR500W , GTX650 1G 384SP D5 128BIT
AStro power series.

And if I can fix this without having to take it to someone, that would be great!!! I mean GREAT. But any help is appreciated. Thank you so much!

I see, well I don't know where in the world you are but if those are U$ 600 and you bought it for 2019 xmas I think you should look somehwre else to buy next time. Just so...
I have an ASUS AR500W computer. I bought it for my son for Christmas. He is 12 and a huge gamer. Recently I had to defrag his computer I'm not the best with PC's but not the worst either However, the frames in Roblox and Fortnite are dropping and he has to restart his PC due to the black screen and it not coming back on.
Reading this thread I went to the userbenchmark.com and ran a report. Can someone that's a little more advanced put into laymens terms what I need to do to fix this computer?? Please and thank you so much!

PC StatusOverall this PC is performing way below expectations (15th percentile). This means that out of 100 PCs with exactly the same components, 85 performed better. The overall PC percentile is the average of each of its individual components. Use the charts in the benchmark sections of this report to identify problem areas.
ProcessorWith a good single core score, this CPU can easily handle the majority of general computing tasks. Despite its good single core score this processor isn't appropriate for workstation use due to its relatively weak multi-core performance. Finally, with a gaming score of 60.7%, this CPU's suitability for 3D gaming is above average.
Graphics9.47% is a very low 3D score (RTX 2060S = 100%). This GPU can only handle very basic 3D games but it's fine for general computing tasks.
Boot DriveThe boot partition is located on a mechanical or hybrid drive. Moving the system to an SSD will yield far faster boot times, better system responsiveness and faster application load times.
Memory8GB is enough RAM to run any version of Windows and it's sufficient for the vast majority of games. 8GB is also enough for moderate file and system caches which result in a very responsive system.
OS VersionWindows 10 is the most recent version of Windows, and the best to date in our opinion.

Also, it's saying that I have a boot drive partition. How do I fix that? And what is the DSS thing that I need to get?? HELP please. And thank you!

Having a boot drive partition is fine, if you didnt have one your Windows OS would not boot

Hi according to the links you posted, your PC have:

CPU: Core i5 2400 which is a somewhat old CPU with 4 cores

RAM: 1x 8GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: 1 x 1TB Western Digital hard disk drive

GPU: GTX 650 with only 1GB of RAM.

So how to fix the computer?, well first thing would be, are you going to fix it, or ask someone else to do it?

Second I would backup every user data thats important and make a new clean instalaltion of Windows 10 and all the drivers.

Third thing would be to know what PSU (Power Supply) do you have, brand and model it will not be enough to say is a 400watt unit, if you can make up whats the brand and model take a pic of the label and put it in here.

I forgot! also make sure that the HDD is plugged to the SATA 3 port on the motherboard... thats if theres one, it should be at least 1.

And finally, if the PSU is good enough (which I do not know cause I do not have the info) you could change the GTX 650 with a budget yet way better one like the GTX 1050TI.
This wont fix all the issues but it would mean that games will have a real GPU to start with.

After that I would really save up some money to start with a fresh new system. In my humble opinion theres no much of a point trying to bring this system back to the modern gaming age. You can re-use the GTX 1050 TI on that new system.

If you like, let us know where in the world you are and whats your max budget so we can suggest what a decent new system will have inside.

Good luck

Sep 21, 2020
Hi according to the links you posted, your PC have:

CPU: Core i5 2400 (which is a very old CPU with 4 cores and 4 threads (this is like physical and logical brains, it has 4 of each)

RAM: 1x 8GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: 1 x 1TB Western Digital hard disk drive

GPU: GTX 650 with only 1GB of RAM.

So how to fix the computer?, well first thing would be, are you going to fix it, or ask someone else to do it?

Second I would backup every user data thats important and make a new clean instalaltion of Windows 10 and all the drivers.

Third thing would be to know what PSU (Power Supply) do you have, brand and model it will not be enough to say is a 400watt unit, if you can make up whats the brand and model take a pic of the label and put it in here.

I forgot! also make sure that the HDD is plugged to the SATA 3 port on the motherboard... thats if theres one, it should be at least 1.

And finally, if the PSU is good enough (which I do not know cause I do not have the info) you could change the GTX 650 with a budget yet way better one like the GTX 1050TI.
This wont fix all the issues but it would mean that games will have a real GPU to start with.

After that I would really save up some money to start with a fresh new system. In my humble opinion theres no much of a point trying to bring this system back to the modern gaming age. You can re-use the GTX 1050 TI on that new system.

If you like, let us know where in the world you are and whats your max budget so we can suggest what a decent new system will have inside.

Good luck

Actually, I don't really have a budget. I spent 600 on this computer for Christmas, and don't want to have to buy another one if I don't have too. I did a complete reinstall on the windows 10 minutes ago. (Well that's when it booted back up) I'm currently updating windows as we speak.
The only thing I could find in the actual glass was this.. It's a 500W AR500W , GTX650 1G 384SP D5 128BIT
AStro power series.

And if I can fix this without having to take it to someone, that would be great!!! I mean GREAT. But any help is appreciated. Thank you so much!

AStro power series.

I see, well I don't know where in the world you are but if those are U$ 600 and you bought it for 2019 xmas I think you should look somehwre else to buy next time. Just so you know, this is what I would have gotten, it have an integrated graphic card on the CPU it self (inside the Ryzen 3400G) and should handle most esport games at 1080p lower settings, you could add a discrete GPU later on:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($57.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Cougar MX330-X ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Best Buy)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PWM PST CO 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($12.18 @ Amazon)
Monitor: HP N246v 23.8" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor ($104.00 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard With Optical Mouse ($14.85 @ Staples)
Total: $611.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-22 07:10 EDT-0400

Reactions: Caprislady
Solution
Sep 21, 2020
I see, well I don't know where in the world you are but if those are U$ 600 and you bought it for 2019 xmas I think you should look somehwre else to buy next time. Just so you know, this is what I would have gotten, it have an integrated graphic card on the CPU it self (inside the Ryzen 3400G) and should handle most esport games at 1080p lower settings, you could add a discrete GPU later on:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($57.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Cougar MX330-X ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Best Buy)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PWM PST CO 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($12.18 @ Amazon)
Monitor: HP N246v 23.8" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor ($104.00 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard With Optical Mouse ($14.85 @ Staples)
Total: $611.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-22 07:10 EDT-0400
Thank you. That's not a bad price, but I have no idea what i'm doing or how to rebuild this. I wanted an easy fix just so he could continue playing his games, but I guess I'm just going to have to take it somewhere. I live in the US. Again thank you for your help. I appreciate it more than you know.

Thank you. That's not a bad price, but I have no idea what i'm doing or how to rebuild this. I wanted an easy fix just so he could continue playing his games, but I guess I'm just going to have to take it somewhere. I live in the US. Again thank you for your help. I appreciate it more than you know.

No problem, the system I posted is what I would have gotten instead of what you got (everything was available back then in 2019). Over that system I post you could build up higher and higher, for instance adding a better GPU (video card) than the one that comes integrated into the CPU, or even changing the CPU for a more powerfull one.
Sadly, since the i5 2400 is such an old CPU (launched in 2011) it means the whole platform (cpu, Motherboard, RAM) are really outdated for a serious gamer. Probably the power supply you have is really a low end one.

Anywways, feel free to post again if you need advice on what to buy, or what to upgrade for an X budget.