Frames dropping because second display.

dlb16

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
Hello, so my problem randomly started yesterday, my computer will at random times drop down to like 15 fps. After messing with it for a while I realized if I turn off my second monitor, it fixes the issue. I had never had a problem with this untill just yesterday, if anyone knows why or a possible fix I would be thankful

Solution
A faulty cable or plug is likely to do just about anything sometimes.

With respect to the DVI cable: There are five basic connector types using various combinations of 29 pins.

Google "DVI cable pinouts". Take a look at the connection types and what cables you are using.

E.g.: https://superuser.com/questions/617260/dvi-d-singlelink-dvi-d-duallink

I would be a bit pressed at this point to work through the pin-outs to establish the exact fault within the cable(s).

And, it could have been a problem with the connection port being used. The replacement cable may have just provided a stronger, more secure fit and some electrical path restored to normal.

After looking at the cables and cable combinations you are using the...

Ralston18

Titan
My immediate thoughts are: 1) graphics card, and 2) power supply.

However, could simply be a driver problem. Either corruption or some buggy update.

Originally both displays worked as expected/required - correct?

Duplicate or Extended screen when both displays in use?

Have you tried swapping in known working video cables?

What graphics card/connections are being used? Age?

Try using Task Manager, Performance Monitor, and Resource Monitor to observe what is happening.

Use one of the tools at a time and watch what is happening. Note any changes that appear when the frame rate drops.

Need to narrow down the possible causes.

dlb16

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
So, I replaced the dvi cord with a different one, and it hasn't done it since. Can a bad dvi cord really cause frame drops to both displays?

Ralston18

Titan
A faulty cable or plug is likely to do just about anything sometimes.

With respect to the DVI cable: There are five basic connector types using various combinations of 29 pins.

Google "DVI cable pinouts". Take a look at the connection types and what cables you are using.

E.g.: https://superuser.com/questions/617260/dvi-d-singlelink-dvi-d-duallink

I would be a bit pressed at this point to work through the pin-outs to establish the exact fault within the cable(s).

And, it could have been a problem with the connection port being used. The replacement cable may have just provided a stronger, more secure fit and some electrical path restored to normal.

After looking at the cables and cable combinations you are using the specific cause could probably be reasoned out and then verified with a multi-meter to test individual pins.

Something for a cold, rainy day when you just wish to pass time away.

Solution