[SOLVED] Frames in Games drops when my CPU temperature drops as well

Aug 14, 2019
Hello,
I have a decent PC (for my use).
In games that I play I have like 100+ fps, but sometimes it drop to around 30 for about 10 sec and it goes up again. I have been bechmarking with afterburner and found that the problem might be something with CPU temperature. Because everytime is FPS drops the CPU temperature drops too and to my suprise the CPU usage stays the same. This spike happens propably once in a minute and after some time it gets really annoying.
The funny thing is that it drop sometimes when it hits 56 °C, today even with 51 °C. And my CPU should be working fine until 65 °C.
Here is the picture of my benchmark in TF2. View: https://imgur.com/a/vh6Utv1

Thanks for any help

My Specs:
RAM: 16GB, DDR3
CPU: AMD FX- 8150 eight-core
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 Ti

Solution
No.
That's an FX series cpu. It doesn't have on core thermal strips the way Intel does, so actual core temps cannot be read. For the FX there's only 2 accurate software that will tell you temps. AMD Overdrive and coretemp (set for thermal margins)

Understand that thermal margins are different than Intel temps. A thermal margin is how much temp you have left before reaching TjMax. So a thermal margin in the 40's is usual for idle, 20's gaming and 0-10 at maximum OC. The exact number is not important, but what that number is is. A number in the teens is running hot, a number in the 30's isn't. If you ever see a negative number, go ahead and shutdown because if that was an intel cpu you just got to 100°C.

No other software except those 2...
Jan 9, 2019
You could be hitting the Thermal Throttle on the CPU. When the Thermal Throttle kicks in it severely limits the CPU processing power so it can "Cool" off a bit. Your games will go to crud, but the Temps will go down as designed. The Usage will stay the same because its limiting the Power from the processor and not from Windows.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No.
That's an FX series cpu. It doesn't have on core thermal strips the way Intel does, so actual core temps cannot be read. For the FX there's only 2 accurate software that will tell you temps. AMD Overdrive and coretemp (set for thermal margins)

Understand that thermal margins are different than Intel temps. A thermal margin is how much temp you have left before reaching TjMax. So a thermal margin in the 40's is usual for idle, 20's gaming and 0-10 at maximum OC. The exact number is not important, but what that number is is. A number in the teens is running hot, a number in the 30's isn't. If you ever see a negative number, go ahead and shutdown because if that was an intel cpu you just got to 100°C.

No other software except those 2 is to be trusted for FX cpus, not for temps anyways.

Actual core max temp for all the FX cpus is 62°C, but since there's nothing that can actually read the temps, it's kinda moot. Thermal margins use complex algorithms to quantify the temp, using variables such as voltages, amperage, package temps, loads etc. Which is why the exact number isn't important, only what the number represents.

When gaming, anything above @ 20 is peachy good. 10-20 and you should be thinking about adjusting fan curves, get more air moving, lowering OC slightly et. At 0-10 you seriously need to rethink your entire cooling, OC etc as that's seriously hot.

Solution