[SOLVED] Frametime and Framerate spikes

ForgottenMythz

Prominent
May 7, 2021
I brought My PC on the 1st of January 2020. However, since then, I wasn't really able to play games properly on the pc due to some problems recently. I have started playing heavy games on my pc and have noticed severe lag (I have posted a video exhibiting the lag). Link:- GPU usage fluctuating. - YouTube

The problem is that in new games, there are frametime spikes the Frametime just goes to like 100ms or higher and then there is fps lag moreover the GPU usage also fluctuate you can see the video above to see
this does not happen in old games like Ac black flag etc, but the new games like AC origins Mountblade 2 banner lord etc., there is so much lag making it unplayable my PC even meet the basic requirement to run these games, and I have watched YouTubers playing these games on same specs

I have run GPU benchmarks such as furmark and heaven benchmark they result show its ok
run the CPU (intel processor diagnostic tool) test that also say its ok
Run the ram test also, shows that ram is ok

MY PC SPECS ARE:-
CPU - I7 3770S
GPU- RX 580
HDD- 500GB (Games are running from HDD)
SSD- 128GB (OPERATING SYSTEM IS ON SSD)
Mobo- H61 Dual slot with USB 3.0 (but it is not connected
Ram - 8GB (4x2)
Power supply- 500W (sorry Idk the brand)

THINGS I HAVE TRIED
  1. Reinstalling the windows
  2. Updating the drivers ( i deleted them also, then reinstalled them)
  3. I watched every video on the internet and tried what they said, yet of no use
  4. Changed Power Supply also
This is how MSI Afterburner Graph looks when playing games (new games such as AC Origins)
Screenshot_1.png

SSD info

unknown.png

HDD Info

unknown.png

WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR IN ADVANCE FOR TAKING OUT TIME AND READING THIS POST!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well if the CPU and GPU are passing tests and benchmarks normally, then it is likely some other system bottleneck.

#1 thing. Newer games are expecting SSDs, hard drives are slow by comparison.

You do not really have enough system ram or video memory to keep a recent AAA title completely happy. So it must return to disk to fetch new objects, textures, etc. Every time you say, cross an invisible threshold in a game, it will want to preload more stuff. If it has to get that from the hard drive, it is going to take it a while.

You can always lower texture details and the like, but a lot of modern games use realtime decompression to fetch game assets (this allows them to keep the game files smaller) This could also be overwhelming your CPU/memory.

Freeing up space on your hard drive and SSD is probably not an option, so the only option there is really get a bigger SSD and put your games on that.

You are at the tail end of the usefulness of a 3rd gen Intel CPU as well. It is time to start considering getting something like a late model i3 or i5. This would get you into faster memory, access to NVMe storage (what the consoles have now) And access to recent OS. Windows 10 support ends in a few years. Spending money to upgrade this system isn't the smartest idea, but you could get more system memory, that will help a little. Can't do anything about VRAM without a new GPU, and the RX580 is still a decent card for 1080p gaming today.

ForgottenMythz

Prominent
May 7, 2021
Well if the CPU and GPU are passing tests and benchmarks normally, then it is likely some other system bottleneck.

You do not really have enough system ram or video memory to keep a recent AAA title completely happy. So it must return to disk to fetch new objects, textures, etc. Every time you say, cross an invisible threshold in a game, it will want to preload more stuff. If it has to get that from the hard drive, it is going to take it a while.

You can always lower texture details and the like, but a lot of modern games use realtime decompression to fetch game assets (this allows them to keep the game files smaller) This could also be overwhelming your CPU/memory.

Freeing up space on your hard drive and SSD is probably not an option, so the only option there is really get a bigger SSD and put your games on that.

You are at the tail end of the usefulness of a 3rd gen Intel CPU as well. It is time to start considering getting something like a late model i3 or i5. This would get you into faster memory, access to NVMe storage (what the consoles have now) And access to recent OS. Windows 10 support ends in a few years. Spending money to upgrade this system isn't the smartest idea, but you could get more system memory, that will help a little. Can't do anything about VRAM without a new GPU, and the RX580 is still a decent card for 1080p gaming today.

So for like now can I just upgrade the ram to 16gb will that fix it?
can't afford to buy a new PC right now

So for like now can I just upgrade the ram to 16gb will that fix it?
It's very difficult to say from here because i don't have a similar configuration. You can get stuttering in games if your low on RAM. As @Eximo says a bigger SSD would be beneficial, I don't play AC Origins but I've played Odyssey, it's not great on a HDD.

Can I assume your attempting to play these games no higher than 60 FPS?

ForgottenMythz

Prominent
May 7, 2021

Hello sorry for disturbing you again.
i just wanted to ask something I today downloaded disk sentinel
and it shows this could this be the cause

315107093_1188619211767042_4806189756679403057_n.png

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, we talked about a replacement drive anyway. It is a good time to get anything important off that drive and possibly retire it.

That said, drives that report as bad can keep operating for years. I just wouldn't store anything too important on it. Once you have your data off of it, you can get a low-level format tool from WD and run that through the drive. It will check all sectors and truncate anything out that isn't working. May 'fix' the drive by reducing the size slightly.