Question Frametime spikes after upgrading GPU

Xenoraiser

Commendable
May 26, 2017
I recently upgraded my GPU from a 1060 6GB to a 2060 Super, and ever since upgrading I've been having an issue with frametime spikes. I first noticed it in Destiny 2, which only seems to start after I've played for about an hour or so. At that point, the game would appear to freeze for a second or two, often happening two or three times in quick succession. I initially thought it might be a memory leak in that game, but decided to test with Doom since I know it runs like a charm on just about any capable build. Lo and behold, the issue not only showed up there, but in less time and arguably more severely. This leads me to believe it might be an issue with the 2060S, since I rarely, if ever, had these problems with my 1060.
Windows and BIOS are both up-to-date, and I'm using the most recent Nvidia drivers. I also made sure to use DDU (in Safe Mode) to uninstall my 1060 drivers.

Here's an example of it in Destiny 2:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYiq_LlhDGM

And here's an example in Doom:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmAEe2gLy98

Here are my specs:
  • i5-7600K
  • MSI Z270 SLI Plus
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz
  • MSI Gaming 2060 Super
  • SanDisk 240GB SSD (OS drive)
  • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD (D2 installed here)
  • Hitachi 1TB HDD 7200 RPM
  • EVGA G2 550W 80+ Gold
I have the 2060S hooked up to two monitors (a vertical setup), both 1080p, with the bottom one being my gaming monitor (Acer Predator 144hz Gsync) and the other a 60hz Asus for non-gaming stuff. I had these with the 1060 as well and again, either didn't have this issue or far less often.

I normally have Wallpaper Engine and Rainmeter active on my desktop. While gaming, I also tend to have any combination of Chrome (1-3 tabs), Spotify, Discord, Destiny Item Manager and Afterburner active.

So far I've used Doom for troubleshooting since the issue arises quicker and more consistently in it (using OpenGL). Even with all the programs closed I'll still get frametime spikes. They won't be nearly as severe as the above videos, but they do show up in Afterburner and are still noticeable.

I've tried changing the Power Management in Nvidia Control Panel (NVCP) to Adaptive and Prefer Max Performance, and separately increased the Power and Temp limits for the 2060S in Afterburner. Neither seemed to make a difference.

I also turned all the DSR factors on in NVCP so I could put more strain on the GPU compared to the CPU, just in case the 2060S was being bottlenecked by the 7600K. However, I still get mostly the same results with occasional frametime spikes, and I don't think I'm CPU-limited because when the frametime spikes do occur, CPU usage isn't at 100% (according to Afterburner, CPU usage is around 80% or so when the spikes happen, which is fairly average in my experience for the 7600K).

Anyone have any potential advice? Could the 2060S be defective (it does get coil whine while gaming), or could it be a driver issue? Something else?

Xenoraiser

Commendable
May 26, 2017
Just so we're all on the same page, you're Windows 10, 1903? Which BIOS version are you on right now? Have you tried working with a higher wattage PSU that's equally reliably built?
Yes. Windows 10, 1903. I'm on the most recent BIOS for my motherboard (7A59v1A, which was released July 2018). This is the highest wattage PSU I have handy. But 550W should be plenty, no?

TRENDING THREADS