News Framework Embraces ChromeOS with Chromebook Edition Laptop

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Looks great but how big is the market for high spec chromebooks??? Think its too premium and that market was served by the Pixelbook (8th gen Intel, looks like even Google knows this market doesn't exist). Chromebooks biggest selling point is price and simplicity. I picked up a clearance lenovo "11.6 with N4050 I think for $70, touchscreen. At that price it was a steal and it works great (Web, media, office, andorid emulation). at the $400 plus market I see the market rapidly shrink to 0, who would pay $1000 for chrome OS device?

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
One of the things I felt framework made a mistake on with their design was using an island style keyboard. This limits the possible arrangements of the keys. As we see here, they had to make a whole different case for the laptop just to have a different key configuration for Chrome compared to windows. If they would have left the keyboard area open, they could have fit any keyboard layout in there as needed. This would be awesome for people who like other non-standard layouts like ortho/grid or even some sort of ergonomic arrangement. That would be awesome if there was way to build out your own keyboard for your laptop. But their choice makes that impossible without cutting things.

Sep 21, 2022
One of the things I felt framework made a mistake on with their design was using an island style keyboard. This limits the possible arrangements of the keys. As we see here, they had to make a whole different case for the laptop just to have a different key configuration for Chrome compared to windows. If they would have left the keyboard area open, they could have fit any keyboard layout in there as needed. This would be awesome for people who like other non-standard layouts like ortho/grid or even some sort of ergonomic arrangement. That would be awesome if there was way to build out your own keyboard for your laptop. But their choice makes that impossible without cutting things.
The ChromeOS keyboard is exactly the same as Windows, just the glyphs (logo on each key) are different