News Framework updates Laptop 13 family with Intel Core Ultra, AMD Ryzen 7040, new display options

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
What makes that essential for you?
My work laptop has no buttons and I'm still clumsy on it after more than a year. I consider it unacceptable to have such a failure-prone interface device. When my mouse buttons randomly decide I'm no longer holding them down while I click + drag or confuse different actions, I replace the mouse. I cannot do that with stupid touchpad. I will never buy one of these by choice.

And don't tell me just to use a mouse with my laptop, because I sometimes have to use it in some places & situations where there's no room for a mouse or trackball. Plus, I wouldn't like to always carry it around to every meeting that I need to bring my laptop to, since I'm often carrying other things. And then there's the noise made by clapping a mouse on a table, during the middle of a meeting.

These foolish companies (or their marketing people) are so insecure that they think they have to copy Apple on everything possible.

Personally, I prefer the click anywhere and two finger click over dedicated buttons that reduce the touchpad size.
The touchpad on my current laptop is no smaller than it was on my previous one. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's even be larger. Plus, there's plenty of space above/below it to add buttons, if they felt like it. From the pic, the Framework's touchpad seems not to have such spare room, but its touchpad also looks so huge I think they could afford to add buttons if they wanted to.

The irony is that Framework is supposed to be all about modularity, choice, and upgrade options. Yet, they give you no option to upgrade to a trackpad with buttons.

Last edited:
Reactions: helper800

kealii123

Proper
Nov 3, 2023
My work laptop has no buttons and I'm still clumsy on it after more than a year. I consider it unacceptable to have such a failure-prone interface device. When my mouse buttons randomly decide I'm no longer holding them down while I click + drag or confuse different actions, I replace the mouse. I cannot do that with stupid touchpad. I will never buy one of these by choice.

And don't tell me just to use a mouse with my laptop, because I sometimes have to use it in some places & situations where there's no room for a mouse or trackball. Plus, I wouldn't like to always carry it around to every meeting that I need to bring my laptop to, since I'm often carrying other things. And then there's the noise made by clapping a mouse on a table, during the middle of a meeting.

These foolish companies (or their marketing people) are so insecure that they think they have to copy Apple on everything possible.

The touchpad on my current laptop is no smaller than it was on my previous one. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's even be larger. Plus, there's plenty of space above/below it to add buttons, if they felt like it. From the pic, the Framework's touchpad seems not to have such spare room, but its touchpad also looks so huge I think they could afford to add buttons if they wanted to.

The irony is that Framework is supposed to be all about modularity, choice, and upgrade options. Yet, they give you no option to upgrade to a trackpad with buttons.
Unless you're over 65, you're in a striking minority of users. Touchpads are so large now, and nice ones with haptic feedback allow click + press anywhere. Clicking + dragging errors haven't been a thing for like a decade.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Unless you're over 65, you're in a striking minority of users. Touchpads are so large now, and nice ones with haptic feedback allow click + press anywhere. Clicking + dragging errors haven't been a thing for like a decade.
Somehow, I doubt you're such an expert on the subject matter as your message implies. It's fine to disagree with my opinion, but to try and invalidate my experience by making sweeping claims and not citing a shred of data, actually comes across as rather juvenile.

Reactions: helper800

kealii123

Proper
Nov 3, 2023
Somehow, I doubt you're such an expert on the subject matter as your message implies. It's fine to disagree with my opinion, but to try and invalidate my experience by making sweeping claims and not citing a shred of data, actually comes across as rather juvenile.
I've worked in IT & development (currently lead programmer for backend services for a streaming company) for over a decade. I've owned and used many macbooks, leading Windows laptops, Surface Pros, Surface clones, gaming laptops, etc.

In my experience, servicing many people in different roles at a typical office job, is that some people don't get along with trackpads/touchpads not matter what, and will always prefer a mouse. Thats fine. But if you don't _need_ an external mouse, and can use touchpads, pretty much no one in my experience has issues with click+drag anymore, as the hardware has progressed quite a bit.

My opinion: keyboard+hotkeys is always superior anyways. If you're using a laptop to earn an income, learn how to use your tool correctly and only use the mouse/touchpad when necessary.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
some people don't get along with trackpads/touchpads not matter what,
I've never had a problem with touchpads, other than tap-to-click. I hate that "feature" as I find it unreliable and would always just disable it and use the physical buttons. I also freely switch between mouse and trackball, where I have one at my office desk and the other at home.

So, I'm pretty good with pointing devices, in general. When I use either of those devices, the only time click-and-drag presents a problem is when the device's buttons are wearing out and start losing the "down" state, during long clicks, making it seem as if I released and re-clicked. Well, the same thing happens with the touchpad on the new laptop. I'll be dragging something and it will think I released when I didn't. Or, I'll be trying to click something and it will think I did a click-and-drag when I didn't intend to.

My opinion: keyboard+hotkeys is always superior anyways. If you're using a laptop to earn an income, learn how to use your tool correctly and only use the mouse/touchpad when necessary.
I use keyboards just fine. Let's you and me have a coding contest, me in vim and you can use whatever toy editor I'm sure you think "teh best evar and anyone not using is a complete imbecile", we'll see who's the real keyboard jock and knows how to use their tools "correctly". Otherwise, I'd suggest toning down that snide attitude.

kealii123

Proper
Nov 3, 2023
I've never had a problem with touchpads, other than tap-to-click. I hate that "feature" as I find it unreliable and would always just disable it and use the physical buttons. I also freely switch between mouse and trackball, where I have one at my office desk and the other at home.

So, I'm pretty good with pointing devices, in general. When I use either of those devices, the only time click-and-drag presents a problem is when the device's buttons are wearing out and start losing the "down" state, during long clicks, making it seem as if I released and re-clicked. Well, the same thing happens with the touchpad on the new laptop. I'll be dragging something and it will think I released when I didn't. Or, I'll be trying to click something and it will think I did a click-and-drag when I didn't intend to.

I use keyboards just fine. Let's you and me have a coding contest, me in vim and you can use whatever toy editor I'm sure you think "teh best evar and anyone not using is a complete imbecile", we'll see who's the real keyboard jock and knows how to use their tools "correctly". Otherwise, I'd suggest toning down that snide attitude.
I use vim too bud.

But our programming competition has to be in a fake language like typescript