Frankenstein - Lights are on but no ones home...

eatsdirt

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
First time computer tinkerer here... I have been struggling to rebuild my old Dell... I finally have all the parts, and have (hopefully) put it all together correctly.

So, I hooked it up to my monitor, keyboard, and mouse and fired it up.

All the lights came on the motherboard, the fans started blowing, and it beeped! Then she beeped again... and again. A set of three. Then another set of three... and another, and another, etc... It didnt stop with the sets of three. Also, the monitor remained blank.

I opened up the disc tray and popped in the disc that came with my motherboard... no change.

The monitor was fine... I turned it on prior to turning on the computer and the manufacturer screen came on just like it is supposed to.

Motherboard - Intel DX58OG
CPU - Intel LGA 1366 i7 - Coolermaster Hyper N520
GPU - MSi Twin Frozr GTX 660
PSU - Rosewil 12 volt something or other
Case - Antec 300

The RAM (all samsung, 4 sticks @ 1gb and 2 sticks @ 2gb), Hard Drive, and Disc Drive are all original to my old Dell and I am not sure what exactly they are. The CPU is also original to the Dell.

Please Help! :)

(For the Mods - I have a couple other threads all dealing with this build.... if they need consolidation I apologize, but they have been a long time in between and they deal with such different issues... )

eatsdirt

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

Ok, that worked! I actually left three sticks in... three of the 1gb in dimm 1, 2, and 3...
I would like to be able to use all 8gb though... again, 2@4gb and 4@1gb... will this work?

Ok.. more pressing... the computer starts, but its freakin out because of all the changes and I dont even know what Bios means... is setting this up something you fine folks can help me out with?

Its currently stuck in "Startup Repair" and wont let me cancel... help! :)

EDIT - i got impatient and hit the reset button... it attempted to restart, came to an error screen.. I thought it would stay put there but then it went right back to Startup Repair... It wants to do a System Restore... what should I do?

1st thing. run 3 of the same sticks, forget the other ram.

unplug machine from wall.

instead of confusing you, try resetting cmos. look in the booklet that came with your mobo to find the right jumper. once jumped, return the jumper to original position. ......... if you can't do that, remove the battery for a little bit and put it back in..... put a mark on it before you pull it so you put it back in the way it came out ( magic marker ).

eatsdirt

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

How do I "jump" it? I found the "BIOS Configuration Jumper Block"... what do I do with it?

eatsdirt

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
well... i may be beyond help on this one folks....

looks like I may have to pay someone to fix this beast.

If there are any detailed tutorials that anybody thinks may help me out please feel free to link them. I will try back in the morning to see whats come up.

THanks for all the help!

eatsdirt

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

I wasnt able to fall asleep... did a little research.....

So, is what I am trying to do even possible? I just browsed a few threads on different sites where people said that using an old hard drive with a new motherboard was said to be impossible... or at least it required a long process that ended up losing all the data on the HD anyway...

New motherboard... old hard drive... how do I make this work (if I can)?

Uh, first off, I see a lot of conflicting information, for one you say you aren't able to boot and it repeats a pattern of 3 beeps. Then I see you saying you can get it into the system repair menu. Can you go through a list of what you tried already and the results you have had? Are you using the same motherboard AND hard drive from the old computer? (I ask this because windows is tied to the motherboard for OEM installs) (Oh and I know you aren't using the exact same motherboard as before but is it the same model is what I was asking)

eatsdirt

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

In my first reply to swifty_morgan I resolved the not booting up issue. The issue was my RAM... apparently. I took out most and just put one in 3 of the slots (out of 6).

HERE is the whole story and problem as of now;

1. Bought a Dell PC a few years back
2. Video Card Died
3. Bought a new case, new video card, and new psu (for the hell of it)
4. Found out the motherboard was proprietary - would not work with my case - and did not have enough pins for fans regardless - bought a new motherboard
4A. New Motherboard is an intel, DX580G (for my LGA 1366 CPU - that CAME with the dell) and is NOT the same model as far as I know... all I know is that it is supposedly compatible with my video card, ram, cpu, case, and other components...
5. Found out the heatsink that came with the Dell had a back plate too large to fit my new motherboard... had to replace that as well
6. Finally got all the components assembled in my case
7. powered on for first time - issue with not booting and the three beeps occured
8. swifty_morgan suggested messing with my ram, I did so, the computer booted up but a new issue happened
9. current state;
9A. Computer turns on but goes to a black screen with white font that says Windows Error Recovery, and gives me the options to either Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally
9B. If I choose Start Windows Normally
i. windows starts to load, the windows logo appears and it says "starting windows" on the bottom and appears very normal
ii. then a blue screen flashes quick
iii. then it restarts and I am back to the Windows Error Recovery screen
9C. If I choose Launch Startup Repair
i. black screen, message on bottom "windows is loading files" with e grey progress bar
ii. a normal looking loading screen appears with a status bar on the bottom with "microsoft corporation" written below it
iii. then Start Up repair screen appears, blue windows background (NOT blue screen... blue as in the default windows background) with a window open saying "Your computer was unable to start)... it has a progress bar which cycles a few times then a new window pops up asking me if I would like to restore my computer using system restore
iv. at this point I am locked up... mouse and keyboard dont respond.

Please Help.

Is there any additional information you require?

Theres a few things you can do. What I would try is to go into the bios and disable an option called automatic reboot on power failure, it should be something like that. It will be worded differently but it will be rather obvious what it does. Makes it so it doesn't auto reboot when you get a blue screen, allowing us to grab the error message and see whats actually going on.

Do you still have your case or your windows OEM install number? If not there MIGHT be ways to get it still but I don't know them and I am not sure if I am even allowed to speak of them without breaking this sites TOU. Anywho if that play fails you will probably have to buy another copy of windows (ouch)

I am almost positive its bluescreening because it doesn't have the proper motherboard drivers on boot. Even then you would need to call up microsoft and ask them to release your current code from its motherboard claiming this ones a replacement for that one (which it is) and hope that they actually believe you. Still a lot better than spending 100 bucks.

eatsdirt

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

I have to go out an run errands in a few. But I will try to disable the autoreboot tonight if I get a chance and get back to you with that.

Honestly though, as little as I know about computers I am still pretty sure you are right in your assessment of why I am getting the blue screen...

SO, assuming you are correct... do I need only a new copy of windows? or do I need a new hard drive as well? If I get a new copy of Windows (or get microsoft to help me out), can I just boot from the new disc and reinstall windows onto the hard drive? What about the motherboard drivers?

Assume you are correct... how, step by step (in as much detail as you have patience for), do I fix this? THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for any help you can give.

I need to know which Dell model you upgraded, correct me if I am wrong - you still have DEll motherboard, am I correct?
Please provide PC model ASAP }(including form factor if applicable, for an example, mini tower, small form factor, etc.), the could be compatibility issues!

eatsdirt

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

No, the motherboard was replaced. That is the issue. The only things original from the dell are;
- RAM
- Optical Drive
- Hard Drive
- CPU

EVERYthing else is new. There were MANY compatibility issues... original problem was a burnt out video card and I have had to replace 3/4 or more of the computer because of that...

Unless some magic happens, I have a few questions, can you please answer them, even though it may sound awkward to you.
1. What was the original Dell model, is it was XPS 9000? Please answer.
2. Also do you know your original Dell motherboard model, do you still have an original motherboard on hand in good condition (not in the trash can)?
3. Are you beyond of point of return of your new motherboard? Can you return it still? As of now you are stuck and all options has to be considered.
4. What is the model of your original RAM.
5. What is your CPU model.
6. Do you still have an original Dell case with OEM product key sticker on the side (no one need to know the key#)?

Now, lets see what happened now.
Do you still have original Dell Windows installed on your hard drive (we will call it HDD in the future).
As it was mentioned above, and I can add the same, Dell OEM Windows would not work on non Dell motherboard! Also, I did not see it mentioned anywhere, have you formatted your HDD during installation? If not, you still have old Dell info there and this will prevent you from loading the Windows on new motherboard.

Please don't rush with your actions and just answer my questions as accurate as you can, I am not asking you to do anything yet.

eatsdirt

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

1. Original Dell info - http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/Servicetag/43WN9K1
2. i have the motherboard on hand... though it is not usable. May not be damaged, but it is not compatible with my case
3. im not going back to my old motherboard enen if i could... id rather buy a new copy of windows and hard drive (if needed)
4. the RAM is samsung ddr3 - 4@1gb and 2@2gb (original to the Dell)
5. CPU is i7-920 2.66ghz/8m/4.80/08 3837B879 (this is the CPU that originally came with the Dell)

I do not have the original windows... it came with Vista and upgraded to 7.
I don't know exactly what formatting is, and if it was done or not... I think I did, but am not sure. I know I had to reinstall windows at one point due to a virus... but other than that I am not sure. I think it is likely there is still old Dell info/motherboard drivers active...

Something is not connecting to each other in your last post.
According to the Service tag you suppose to have Studio 540, which come originally with this "F309J 1 PROCESSOR..., Q8200, 2.33, 4MB, YOR, 95W" - this is from the link you provided. Q8200 is not i7-920, so can you clarify your situation here?
Have you provide wrong tag number? Original Studio 540 has LGA775 socket motherboard and you are playing now with LGA1366.
This all doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Have you upgraded your CPU?
I am completely confused.

eatsdirt

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

the info on that page is wrong... the service tag is right... not sure why its so wrong, but it is.

This computer was returned to manufacturer at one point and had technicians come out to perform repairs twice.. it has been nothing but a headache since I purchased it...

I know when I bought it I was given the option to customize certain features, and with every option I chose the biggest upgrade... maybe thats why the CPU is an i7?

I dont know...

I also dont know why it matters.

I have the components that I have... the old motherboard is irrelevant, its not going to be used.

The question remains... do I need a new copy of windows, or do I need a new copy of windows and a new HDD, or is there a way to get my HDD (original to the Dell) to recognize the new motherboard?

At this time everything is matters, since it doesn't work. I thought about some hardware compatibility, since processor from original configuration doesn't match your present configuration, but since you know which processor you are using now (still strange that Dell upgraded your Studio when you sent it back) we will proceed to Windows.
How did you upgrade from Vista to 7? Did you purchased Win7 and install or you used Dell Vista and upgraded?
Next question. How are you started up your new build, just putting components together and turning power on? Have you tried to install any Windows? If not, then you are attempting to use your previous configuration from Dell Studio 540, or what ever Dell you had before, and placing this configuration on new motherboard, tell me that I am wrong here?!
New motherboard requires installation of new copy of Windows with its serial number, Dell sourced Windows can not be installed on non Dell PC, or non Dell motherboard.
If this is the case you need to purchase new copy of Windows first, and then, when beginning installation, you have to format (delete all information) your present hard drive and proceed from there.
If you want to save info from your present hard drive, you have to purchase a new one.

This is it.

eatsdirt

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

I upgraded using a disc.

I bought the parts, assembled, and powered up. I thought I could just load the disc that came with my motherboard and any issues coming from incompatibility would be fixed... I am not a tech guy.

So, yeah.. the answer is pretty much what I was guessing earlier. I need either a new copy of windows or a new copy of windows and a new hdd... depending on whether I want to save my info or not.

So, I think I'm going to go for an SSD.

Please tell me where I am wrong...

1. Remove old hdd
2. Install new ssd
3. Start up computer with new copy of windows (never installed windows onto a blank drive before... tips appreciated)
4. Set up computer, make sure its all set
5. Install old hdd
6. make sure computer is booting from the ssd
7. delete old copy of windows from old hdd and use the old hdd for storage or whatever...

Any tutorials that would be helpful would be appreciated. Also, an suggestions on ssd's would be useful as well...

Thank you!

It is not that clear if you want to save you data or not, however, if you want SSD, then get it, get new Windows, during the installation or prior to installation you have to get into BIOS and set AHCI mode for HDD. AHCI is a hardware mechanism that allows software to communicate with Serial ATA (SATA) devices (such as host bus adapters) that are designed to offer features not offered by Parallel ATA (PATA) controllers, such as hot-plugging and native command queuing (NCQ). The specification details a system memory structure for computer hardware vendors in order to transfer data between system memory and the device.

After this, when system is running, you have to connect old HDD and copy all information, and then delete all info icluding OS, or better even format old HDD. If you shut down new install on SSD and start with old HDD attached there would be problem - BIOS would not know, which HDD has the priority or something like this.
So right now everything is about getting SSD.
I would advice to start new thread, this will get more attention.
Also, I am not Genius in everything, and I see that many previous advisers have disappeared. I personally like Intel, but is is expensive, Samsung is cheaper, but again it is not my area of expertise.
At least now you know what need to be done, new post will solve your current problem very quick, and it is not Frankenstein any more!

IF he wanted to he could create a new partition on the HDD he has now, install windows on that partition, copy over all of his important things to the new partition (and preferably somewhere else aswell) then delete that partition in its entirety, after that he would have to use some other non windows partition software to extend his current one. (windows can only extend the space available if its to the right, and since you are copy/deleting info from the left it won't work) (This is all assuming he has enough space on the hdd to copy all his important documents over and install windows)

I am sure there is a more efficient explanation of how windows extends partitions, but I just woke up.

@eat: If you want to grab an SSD then your method of doing it is how its done.

But in this case he has to be very careful because he might end up with 2 Primary Partitions and this will lead to another disaster. So, if OP wants to get SSD, it would be easier and no rush.
@mouse24: can you advise OP on SSD choice, I like only Intel, but those are expensive, unless eatsdirt is OK with high quality SSD for $$$.