Frankensteining an Aspire AX 1420G

ArugulaZ

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
Howdy, folks! I had a question about a computer and I thought this would be the right place to ask.

I bought an Acer Aspire AX 1420G from a yard sale, and it's a surprisingly good computer for the money I paid. A quad-core processor, four gigs of RAM, one terabyte hard drive, and Windows 7, all for twenty bucks? Yeah, I can't complain.

However, there's just one problem. The slimline case the computer came in doesn't afford much room for expansion. It's stuck with a proprietary 220W power supply and can only accept costly low profile graphics cards. I've been thinking about taking the motherboard out of its original case and putting it into a different one, but I'm not sure if this is feasible, or even wise to attempt. Would it be worth the effort to transfer the hardware to another case? I'm a little worried that I'm going to connect the motherboard improperly and burn out the CPU, or do some other irreversible damage.

I've done computer repairs in the past- adding RAM, removing cards, and even replacing a motherboard in one instance- but never anything this involved. Is there anything I should know before I proceed?

Eximo

Titan
Herald
Sounds like a good plan. As long as the motherboard is a standard form factor it should work fine. Generally they stick to the ATX cabling specifications if not the form factor for the supply.

It looks like a standard ITX (Mini-ATX) board, so any ATX compatible case can handle it. I recommend MicroATX (uATX) so that you can put in a dual slot (or more) video card in the single PCIe slot.

k1114

Titan
If I'm looking at the right pic, it has 2 expansion slots, that's mini dtx. This doesn't really change anything since it's still compatible with atx. The psu can be changed out to atx to upgrade your gpu.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS