Fraps massive FPS loss

markyboytheo

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
Whenever I launch a game, FPS will be fine. I can play Stranded Deep I'll get 300+ FPS, but as soon as I start recording, I'll only get 11 FPS max! Fraps and recording location are on different drives, so I know that's not the problem!

PC Specs:
CPU: i7-4770k @ 3.50Ghz
GPU: GTX 760
2x 1TB HDD
2TB HDD
120 GB SSD
8GB of RAM
Mobo: Asus Z87-A
PSU: Ultra HS Professional Series 750

ShakedG

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
I'm no expert on recording games, so take my word with a grain of salt. However, I do know that running both a game and a non-efficient recording program such as fraps can overload the GPU a lot. Now I myself have a GTX 760, and I curse it every morning when I wake up. I belive Nvidia really dropped the ball on this GPU, and it is so frustrating to use this (especially since I bought it for 300 bucks just one month before they announced the 900 series (which brought it down to 200 bucks).
My point is, maybe try and use another recording program. Also, when recording a huge issue is not having enough space in the recording location, which can result in terrible FPS drops.

DavidFangio

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
I suddenly got this problem but with frame rate dropping to '1' and seizing the game (Project CARS). When I stopped Fraps recording the game returned to normal. I read that a change to saving on a separate drive would cure it but I hadn't had a problem in 2 months of frapping to the same drive. I realised all I had done recently was delete some 300+Gb of Fraps movies from the 'Movies' folder and wondered if that had upset things. I created a Fraps/Movies2 folder and set it to save recording there and all is well again.
I hope that helps you too.

markyboytheo

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014

Ya, my fix was that my SSD didnt have enough space left. I assume you can only have so much, as Fraps is using the SSD as RAM. So I upgraded my SSD to a 520gb and it solved the problem!