[SOLVED] Frazzled by new 5700 XT. Is it my PSU?

leelucasbristol

Prominent
Aug 7, 2018
Hardware
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: AMD RX 5700-XT Thicc III
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400 C16 4x4GB (Running at 2133Mhz 16-16-16-39)
MBD: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK MS-7A34 (Latest BIOS)
PSU: Corsair CX550M ATX 12 V (Bronze rated)
ASUS 24 Inch (1920 x 1080) 144Hz Monitor
Drives
SSD: WDC WDS500G2B0A-00SM50 500GB
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
HDD: WD Green 3TB
Software
Windows 10 (Updated)
GFX Drivers (Adrenaline 20.5.1, Latest)
AMD Chipset (2.04.04.111, Latest)

Hello gentlemen, I have recently purchased an RX 5700 XT Thicc III and whilst im blown away by it’s benchmarking, I’m very frazzled by how much time I have spent troubleshooting with crashes and various issues for gaming which I’m assuming are driver related if other posts here and over the net are anything to go by.

The latest driver seems to have stabilized some of the games I play, but not all.

My question is, are there any parts of my build that make you think “What is this idiot doing, it’s obviously this that’s causing the problem.” because frankly, all I can think of with my limited knowledge is that maybe the PSU is a bit low quality.

I'm currently leaning towards returning the card and shelling out for a 2070 Super to see if it's simply the drivers, but thought I'd better check with the graphic card council first.

I've also heard that two PCIe cables are preferable to a single dual PCIe 6+2 pin connector, any truth to this?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Edit: Misspoke about PSU splitter.

Last edited:
Solution
No splitter would have been needed. CX550M has dual PCIe 6+2 pin connectors.

However, really a 600w+ PSU with LLC resonant would be preferred for such a high power draw card.
Not a big fan of the corsair CX series, its also on the verge of the recommend power. The RX 5700 XT recommends a 550w PSU and if your using a splitter to feed power to the card i would recommend upgrading it.

The only issue with getting a new PSU right now is prices are through the roof.

leelucasbristol

Prominent
Aug 7, 2018
I would run DDU in safe mode
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
completely wipe all drivers
fresh install latest.
Already done, I had a 980 previously and had to clean out the Geforce stuff in safe mode just to be sure, then during my troubleshooting I tried both DDU and the AMD inbuilt factory reset stuff.
Thanks for checking though.

Not a big fan of the corsair CX series, its also on the verge of the recommend power. The RX 5700 XT recommends a 550w PSU and if your using a splitter to feed power to the card i would recommend upgrading it.

The only issue with getting a new PSU right now is prices are through the roof.
No splitter would have been needed. CX550M has dual PCIe 6+2 pin connectors.

However, really a 600w+ PSU with LLC resonant would be preferred for such a high power draw card.

Ok so fancy PSU it is, I'll look into Platinum rated with LLC resonant.

Thank you for your timely responses gentlemen.