Discussion Freak breakdown after changing my power outlet.

HardToSpell

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
Hey everyone, earlier this week we had an electrician come over and change a power outlet because of a fire hazard. As soon as it was done, I plugged all of the electronics back in, but the computer started acting up.
All of the other electronics were fine, but the computer would light up and the motherboard would not POST. The upper back fan would also stop shortly after turning on. I swapped the PSU around to no avail, and suspected the motherboard bit the dust due to static/poor grounding. However, I swapped the CPU for an older one and everything turned on just fine. This Monday I'll be sending in the newer CPU to RMA, but I'm still dumbfounded.
Did static really just kill my CPU from just changing a power outlet around? Did anyone ever hear of something like this happening before? I thought it only happened to PSUs and mobos due to how components are laid out.
I did update the mobo's BIOS after putting in the older CPU and then swapped it around again but the newer one would still not POST.

Components in question:
Newer CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
Older CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
Mobo: Asus Rog Strix B550-F Gaming
PSU: Corsair RM1000X

HardToSpell

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
It did not happen from changing the power outlet. Not sure what happened. Maybe a coincidence.

I hopped onto the computer at 8:00 to do some work, everything was perfectly fine. I stopped at 12:00 and watched as the outlet was being changed. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. I turned on everything for good measure before leaving for lunch and noticed the POST was not going through, and the mobo wasn't even beeping a code.

Hard to think it was a coincidence, since as far as I know, the newer Ryzen 9s tend to die out suddenly, not the 7s. But i guess it's not out of the question.
I've been using this CPU for almost one year now.