Freaked out about motherboard/memory compatibility list - should I be?

Shubby

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I'm building a new computer this fall/winter with the following planned specs:
Intel i7 920 D0
Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cooler
Asus Rampage II GENE motherboard
3x2GB Mushkin REDLINE 998691, DDR3-1600, CL6-7-6-18@1.65V
Corsair 750W TX
Sapphire Radeon 5870 Vapor-X (when I can get my hands on one...)

However I'm a little freaked out by the memory compatibility list found on Asus's web site, i.e. the RAM I'm looking at, which I hear is really good, just isn't there.
I haven't bought a complete PC in many years (my current PC is a P4 3.0A...) but I feel like memory compatibility was not such a big issue as it is now. I keep reading about people buying RAM that ought to work according to motherboard specifications, but don't. Granted, the number of RAM modules available on the market far outnumbers what's on the compatibility list, and I assume that the list is one of memory sticks that were successfully tested by Asus which doesn't mean sticks that aren't listed simply won't work...

So should I be concerned that my RAM of choice is not listed in Asus's compatibility list for my motherboard of choice?
Does anybody own that motherboard and RAM combo and can they confirm that it works at the specified RAM speeds/timings?
I guess it wouldn't be a huge hassle for me to return/exchange the RAM if need be but I'd rather spare myself the trouble (and the restocking fees...), naturally.

Finally and unrelated to the above: do you have comments/suggestions on my planned setup?

Shubby

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Yeah, Mushkin does not have my motherboard on their compatibility list at all, but they do have the Rampage II Extreme.
I guess I can assume that it will work on the Rampage II GENE since it's probably the same basic motherboard as the Extreme.

Yrahcaz91

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I've got 4GB (2x2GB) Mushkin DDR3 on my Asus P55 (p7p55d pro) board. It was not on the Asus compatitbility list, but I have not had any issues thus far. Passed 2 hours of Memtest 86+ with no errors, too.