Free 7800GS - In the Spirit...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

liquidx

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
I don't know if you want help choosing the person, but my vote goes for lordaardvark2, and here are the reasons.

1)Primarily, I'm almost sure he's telling the truth. I've seen other posts he's made, and he does talk about the system that he pictoed for you. It might be risky to go with someone with a low number of posts because they could easily be lying.

2)This is just a personal view, but I really believe that people who have no money because of a pregnancy in the family, or a newborn baby don't need the card right now. The father need to put all his attention towards the baby, not his PC.

3)Lordaardvark2 has a good reason for not having money, and it is clear that he really likes PCs. He gives help to his friends, and he deserves something in return.

I have no qualms with anything you said, but no:2. My baby is in the belly right now, so how am i supposed to give it all my attention? And secondly, babies sleep, when my baby is awake, i guarantee I will give her my undivided attention. But when she is asleep, I need something to help me unwind from the hustle and bustle of schooling, work, and baby. I will admit, I can get by on my GF4, and I won't lose any sleep over not having high frame rates, but if I can get a card like this, it will last me years. Seriously, look at how long I've had my card now, I bought it... wow, can't even remember, but had to be more then 4 years ago, or right around that point. My kids come first and foremost, but when it's time for some me time. My games are my stress reliever. Part of why I have such high frag rates :D

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I don't know if you want help choosing the person, but my vote goes for lordaardvark2, and here are the reasons.

1)Primarily, I'm almost sure he's telling the truth. I've seen other posts he's made, and he does talk about the system that he pictoed for you. It might be risky to go with someone with a low number of posts because they could easily be lying.

2)This is just a personal view, but I really believe that people who have no money because of a pregnancy in the family, or a newborn baby don't need the card right now. The father need to put all his attention towards the baby, not his PC.

3)Lordaardvark2 has a good reason for not having money, and it is clear that he really likes PCs. He gives help to his friends, and he deserves something in return.

In answer to 1)

I note that you also have a very low number of posts - are you suggesting that your own veracity is in question?

2)

People in family difficulty often feel the need for a distraction from their situation as a coping strategy. This does not necessarily impinge on their ability to care for their dependants, and should not, therefore, be judged harshly. Only when you have walked in someone else's shoes can you truly understand what they are going through.

3)

In principle, you are correct that LordAardvark2 is enthusiastic about computers, as that comes across clearly from his posts. What WolfShadw is faced with is whether enthusiasm equates with need. After all, we are all enthusiastic otherwise we would not be regular posters in these fora.

Please be more positive with your preference as it is always better to look for the good in others (rather than being more critical of those you are less inclined to support).

Q

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
bump u say?

Yes, good sir, I say BUMP!

I don't know if you want help choosing the person, but my vote goes for lordaardvark2, and here are the reasons...

:oops: Thank you so very much for your support Konut! I really do appreciate it. AHH! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :lol: !

The only thing is that threads like these are quite sticky situations. There is something very desirable that is being given away for free, and people get suspicious. They wonder if its a scam, they wonder if they can win, and they wonder if other entrants are telling the truth. I guess its just human nature to be suspicious.

And, this is where my post becomes a response to Liquidx and Flying-Q, also. Lets try to keep discussions like these out of here. Its not our place to sway the decisions of those that matter (i.e. Wolfshadw). Again, thank you Konut for supporting me, but that caused Liquidx to post his schpiel, and then caused Flying-Q to get involved. My words fail me, and I can't express fully how I feel about this situation, but I don't think that its right. So, shall we leave this thread for bumping, question answering, and the posts of new entrants...? I don't want there to be any more suspicion than there already is.

rabbitweasel

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004
Here's my Dell Dimension 4400 system:

DSC00392_.jpg

DSC00393_.jpg

It's 1 of our LAN machines that me and my friends use to play Halo. Its specs are:

P4 1.7ghz 400mhz FSB
2x 256MB PC 2700 RAM
40GB hard drive
FX5500 128MB
XP Home
CD-RW, DVD drives

Currently it only handles Halo on our system at 800x600 as speed > eye candy. Our monitor is a 15" LCD with native resolution of 1024x768 and doesn't look too great on 800x600. I keep it clean on the inside with some keyboard cleaner.

I'm 17 without a job though I'm applying at our local K Mart if you're wondering. I don't have any money because of a golf cart crash. I damaged the frame a little but most damage was done to the driver's side spindle and headlight. Bent spindle before repair:

DSC00004_.jpg

Steering knuckle slightly damaged but not too visible:

DSC00012_.jpg

I bought the headlight unit but haven't installed it. I had to buy it in pairs also as that's how they're sold:

DSC00397_.jpg

DSC00398_.jpg

I didn't turn it into insurance as I don't want my rates to go up and yes it has liability insurance but not much of the other coverages. I don't have money because of this.

BTW, if you're wondering what happened: I thought I put the golf cart in park and left it and 5 seconds later, BAM! It rolled into a tree ~5mph on a slope of 10-15 degrees. I also managed to severly damage the wheel bearing which also added in $50 to the cost but not mentioned in my note.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
P4 1.7ghz 400mhz FSB
2x 256MB PC 2700 RAM
40GB hard drive
FX5500 128MB
XP Home
CD-RW, DVD drives
Dude if you get it you really need to get a better processor, i had a Dell 4600, was grand at the time, i.e. 6 years ago, sold it last year, anyway, i had an old x850pro OC'd with 16 pipes open as per XT version, anyweay it was severely bottlenecked with the P4 2.4Ghz, i OC'd the CPU to 2,8Ghz and got a 15-20% performance improvement, hence youll not really get the most out of it unfortunately

Crap luck on the gol buggy btw

RCHflight

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
hey i would really like to get that 7800gs that would be my dream and that would be perfect for me i have been on here a while mostly as a lurker. my system is a Systemax i will post pictures later i have to set up a photobucket account.

Pentium 4 3.0 ghz
mobo some intel with agp slot
stinky systemax case that i should replace if i get this card. i like the centurion 5 because its cheap.
woot!! a geforce 5200
250 gb baracuda hdd
allied 400 watt power supply piece of junk
best of all a 19 inch flat screen crt

i would really like this upgrade because i play shadow of agmaur and i did play battlefront 2 before it crashed on me and i spent months trying to fix it even after reinstall of windows. i probably if i am lucky get 20 fps. average its around low teens or even single didget.

I live in south eastern United States for shipping.

I am 17 years old and i just got a car and pay for issurance by my self need serious repair i can get pics if you want them. i have a job starting next sunday but my hours will be limited as i will have college 4 days a week starting this thursday.

even if i dont get the card bless you for doing this its just really an inspiration and creates a wonderful atsmophere at the forums. Thanks!

Konut

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I partly take back my comment about the people that are going to have, or have a baby already. I'm only 17 right now so i can't even imagine the shoes you're in, but I do know what gaming can be like. There have been two instances in my life where I was addicted to two different games, one was guild wars, and the other was warcraft 3. I played these games not to relieve stress, but they rather made me more stressed. I was just at the skill point where I was close to being one of the best, but not quite there, so I felt if I played a lot I could play in the world championships.

So if one of you do win, make sure you remember this post and really make an effort to not have games on your mind when they shouldn't be. Again, just because the way I used to play games wasn't healthy doesn't mean that it wouldn't be for you, but you never know. So good luck to all and I hope the truely best man wins.

About my other comment, it doesn't mean that someone with a low amount of posts is definitely untrustable, but I do think it is at least a little more probable that they made something up. If someone has a high number of posts, you can read their past posts to see what they're all about. I think that the past posts should be read before a victor is chosen just to be safe.

So good luck to all and I hope the truely best recipient wins.

Leifer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Dell Dimension 2400

--
2.4GHZ Celeron
512MB RAM
GeForce 4 MX440 *EDIT* This is a PCI card, not AGP. Regular ass PCI.
40GB HD
400 watt Antec PSU
Onboard motherboard.
No floppy drive
2x CD drives (one is borked, other runs at something close to 0.001X read/write speed)
0x USB 2.0 ports
2x USB Medieval ports

My batteries are charging, I'll have a pic up in like 15 minutes. I think you all should see the inside of my computer, it's pretty funny. But, I don't want the graphics card, I just want to see if someone can beat out my system. I already ordered myself a seriously powerful rig, which comes tomorrow, so yeah. Best of luck to all entrees and hopefully the most deserving one wins.

Edit 2: Here's the inside of the computer. I'm sure there's an Egyptian tomb in here somewhere. And yes, the fan IS spinning, but God knows it spins at 1RPM; it can't even shake the dust off.

03100003tm6.jpg

Edit 3: Oops, forgot you wanted a pic with your name in it, Wolfy. Here you go:

03100006jp4.jpg

liquidx

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
I had to say something, as a father, I do agree with him to a point and within limitations. If I am sitting here playing a game and neglecting my baby then that is being a horrible father, but I would never do that. Actually, gaming has brought me and my son closer together because it gives us something to do together. I had a server system that was really just another desktop that I redid and gave it to him so he could game on it with me right next to me. Now unfortunately me and his mother divorced, and as he lives with her, I gave him the computer to continue gaming on. But when he comes here, we sit and game together. Taking turns obviously.

I was not simply defending that I should get the card because....

I was defending all parents that like to game.

I was stating that saying that a parent shouldn't be gaming, but spending time with their kids just isn't right. I hope I do get the card, but if not, I will live without it. And I will still game, and my son will game with me, and I imagine I will try to get my daughter into gaming when she is old enough. And maybe even the old lady, if I can ever get her to try :D. This will be my last post on this particular train of thought. I just wanted to clarify some things.

Konut, no hard feelings towards you, especially that you are as young as you are, it is hard for you to understand. And RCHflight, if you get the card, an FX5200 is an upgrade for me :D So good luck to all.

Leifer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Liquid, my dad hated games. He got me a Dell (pictured above) with an onboard graphics card so I couldn't play games. I had to scrounge up money and buy myself a GeForce4 MX440. That was like 5 years ago, though. He's not so against gaming now.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
I partly take back my comment about the people that are going to have, or have a baby already. I'm only 17 right now so i can't even imagine the shoes you're in, but I do know what gaming can be like. There have been two instances in my life where I was addicted to two different games, one was guild wars, and the other was warcraft 3. I played these games not to relieve stress, but they rather made me more stressed. I was just at the skill point where I was close to being one of the best, but not quite there, so I felt if I played a lot I could play in the world championships.

So if one of you do win, make sure you remember this post and really make an effort to not have games on your mind when they shouldn't be. Again, just because the way I used to play games wasn't healthy doesn't mean that it wouldn't be for you, but you never know. So good luck to all and I hope the truely best man wins.

About my other comment, it doesn't mean that someone with a low amount of posts is definitely untrustable, but I do think it is at least a little more probable that they made something up. If someone has a high number of posts, you can read their past posts to see what they're all about. I think that the past posts should be read before a victor is chosen just to be safe.

So good luck to all and I hope the truely best recipient wins.

I have refrained from commenting on the subject so far as not to add fuel to the flames. Now that the heat has died down I'd like to add my .02.

Konut I'm glad that you've taken a step back and opened your mind to perspectives other than your own. You made some very strong judgements IMO based on huge amounts of assumption. I understand and completely agree with your assertion that a parent should put their child first and hobbies second. Just because a parent upgrades their system for better gaming performance doesn't mean that they are going to be gaming while ignoring/neglecting their child.

As for the post count, I lurk more than post because generally a topic is pretty well covered by the time I get around to reading it. I post/comment occasionally if I have an opinion or piece of information that has not been covered. I registered my account on the forumz in aug' 06 after following discussions here for about a year before that. I've been an avid reader of Tomshardware since the late '90s and credit them with helping me make the decisions on the hardware in my current system when I was building it new in 2002.

liquidx

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
Liquid, my dad hated games. He got me a Dell (pictured above) with an onboard graphics card so I couldn't play games. I had to scrounge up money and buy myself a GeForce4 MX440. That was like 5 years ago, though. He's not so against gaming now.

I am glad that your dad finally came around. Games are a great stress relief when you don't allow yourself to become to immersed in them. Or at least know how to tell the difference between reality and a game. I definitely feel refreshed after a good hour of fragging, and especially if I get more time then that.

Leifer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
I am glad that your dad finally came around. Games are a great stress relief when you don't allow yourself to become to immersed in them. Or at least know how to tell the difference between reality and a game. I definitely feel refreshed after a good hour of fragging, and especially if I get more time then that.

Oh he hasn't come around yet. He still doesn't like me playing games, but he knows he can't really do much about it. Ironically enough, he works for Micro$oft, so he buys the XBOX stuff and the games, but as far as PC gaming is concerned... he's not too happy with it. But that's okay, I'll get him to try some games when I get the new rig and I'm sure he'll like it.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007

Oh he hasn't come around yet. He still doesn't like me playing games, but he knows he can't really do much about it. Ironically enough, he works for Micro$oft, so he buys the XBOX stuff and the games, but as far as PC gaming is concerned... he's not too happy with it. But that's okay, I'll get him to try some games when I get the new rig and I'm sure he'll like it.
You should be gaming on a 360 then, much cheaper if your dad can buy the games from the M$ shop

Konut

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Konut I'm glad that you've taken a step back and opened your mind to perspectives other than your own. You made some very strong judgements IMO based on huge amounts of assumption.

2)This is just a personal view, but I really believe that people who have no money because of a pregnancy in the family, or a newborn baby don't need the card right now. The father needs to put all his attention towards the baby, not his PC.

I don't want to start a flame war, but you're accusing me of something that I didn't do. I didn't make very strong judgements about anyone. I just stated that a newborn baby will need the full attention of his father which is obviously true. This card may or may not alter how much attention is given to the baby, but that is for wolf to decide.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
My apologies to all of the participants and readers of this thread for perpetuating this off topic subject matter. I gave in to the desire to defend myself when I should have just left it alone.

Discussion moved to PM.

zhaf

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
nice of you to give away a graphics card wolfshadw.
I'd like to participate even though there're some others maybe more deserving to have that card than me.

My computer:
CPU: P4 2.4 currently OC to 3.0
RAM: 1gb PC 3200 value
GPU: Radeon 9600XT 128mb <-lol ^^
HDD: old WD 120GB
Sound: Soundblaster Audigy (yes the first audigy card ^^)

Ok here we go: I'm a university student. As all know students = very poor, I'd doubt that anyone even think about robing me lol. But recently I had some chances of getting a job and actually posted some threads about upgrading or to buy a new pc later this year. But no luck with that job... so that project scraped.
The ironic is that I study gamedevelopment and with my current computer I can only code shaders that were in games like 5 years ago (only SM2)... what a waste >_<. The most fun part is when I run my code and try to get a decent fps... haha yeah right. But I don't only code I also do some concept graphics and 3d models... so I'm kinda trying to save up for a tablet. But money is hard to find when you're a syudent. Shure I get allowance from my goverment (Sweden) but I've to pay almost the whole thing back when I'm done and it's hard so save money at the end of the month, rent is already more than 50% ot that. So what I'm saving now pretty much has to go back to them when I'm done anyway :/. To find a work that pays and study full time is really hard... and I mean really really hard (at least in Sweden). Oh and (maybe not the best point but...) Swedish prices are way higher than american prices and swedes often don't earn much more money than americans so it's really harder for me to save up money for a graphics card... or anything else expensive. I've been saving for that tablet in almost 2 years :p.
So now you know everything about me, yay good luck to me! ^^... as I live in Sweden I will pay the shipping cost.

here's a photo of my computer... inside:

and here's Wolfshadw sign

ps: I swear if I had a tablet I'd do that in photoshop :p.
ps2: sorry if I'm a little late... but I did try to post earlier... the forums just wouldn't load.
ps3: come to sweden sometime ;)

anyhow great work Wolfshadw!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Tick Tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock....

Just over 5 hours left. Lots of great candidates already... Any more? Maybe... YOU!

-Wolf sends

P.S. I apologize if it seems I've not been paying attention (I have). Double XP Weekend in City of Heroes/Father's Day (US)/et al...

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Lol you got the same case as me. Just a different power supply, and everything else. I know I've had mine for about.....5 years, and a friend of mine owned it before that for a good year or two. Thing only weighs about 80 pounds when its fully loaded :).

See these kinds of things are why I've always liked being a gamer, and being friends with gamers. Over the years as I've upgraded my computer, I've always ended up giving my old system or usable parts to friends who had systems worse than what I was giving them. Most of my friends are that way too. I'd even been considering giving the Ram from my previous system to whoever was the runner up from this thing if I won. 1GB(2x512) DDR400 (PC3200) CL2 Crucial Ballistix matched dual channel pair. Been trying to find some place around where I live currently that would buy used computer parts, and memory. But have had no luck at all so far.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Ah, my friend, I am glad to inform you that you are wrong; the contest isn't over until Midnight tonight! :D So, you can still enter, and try for the 7800gs! Heh. I bet you're excited... you were thinking you'd be lucky to get somethign better than your 6200... but now you can try for the 7800!!