Free 7800GS - In the Spirit...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zhaf

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Just over 5 hours left.
Oh... I thought of GMT :p... stupid of me... plenty of time left to take nice photos of my old computer then ^^.

Lol you got the same case as me. Just a different power supply, and everything else. I know I've had mine for about.....5 years, and a friend of mine owned it before that for a good year or two. Thing only weighs about 80 pounds when its fully loaded :).

See these kinds of things are why I've always liked being a gamer, and being friends with gamers. Over the years as I've upgraded my computer, I've always ended up giving my old system or usable parts to friends who had systems worse than what I was giving them. Most of my friends are that way too. I'd even been considering giving the Ram from my previous system to whoever was the runner up from this thing if I won. 1GB(2x512) DDR400 (PC3200) CL2 Crucial Ballistix matched dual channel pair. Been trying to find some place around where I live currently that would buy used computer parts, and memory. But have had no luck at all so far.
Oh nice... I still have the same PSU that came with this case. Meybe it's time to change that as well?... but no money!!! gah!!!
Yeah I know what you mean, me and my friends did that as well when we gamed alot. But now everyone I know are only casual gamers and frankly none of the leftover parts are worth giving away from those computers.
but... I'd glady have some new ram ^^... then I can give away mine to anyone else (CL2.5). And if I win (doubt... no luck lately) I'd give away my piece-of-junk 9600XT to anyone that wants it.

boner

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
would you mind in telling me when are you guys gonna give a PCI or PCI-e because i can't afford in buying a new video card, i have an old Nvidia FX5500 PCI(128mb, 250MHz core clock, 400MHz memory, Dual RamDacs)

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
And if I win (doubt... no luck lately)...

lol you and me both, buddy. I'm renowned for my terrible luck. :)

Ah well my bad, i live in a different time zone.

Nah, don't worry about it, man. I wish you luck!

would you mind in telling me when are you guys gonna give a PCI or PCI-e because i can't afford in buying a new video card, i have an old Nvidia FX5500 PCI(128mb, 250MHz core clock, 400MHz memory, Dual RamDacs)

I think I have an ancient PCI card that I GUARANTEE is worse than your FX5500 and that I GUARANTEE won't run any games... you can have it right now if for some strange reason you actually desire such a thing.

Oh, and... BUMP.

DaddyLyuLyu

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Hello Wolfshadow:

My name is Gary and I won't bored you with self-pitty or sob stories of why the video card ought to come my way. However, I will present to you facts about my life that I'm sure you'd understand and appreciate.

I'm married with two young children. My wife loves to game with me after we put the kids for bedtime everynight. Her current rig is:

CPU - AMD 3000+
MOBO - Asus K8N-E
GPU - Matrox G550 32mb AGP
RAM - 512MB PC2100

I'm not doing this for me. I'm doing this for my wife because her system always start chocking when the firefights get going. I want her to enjoy her gaming time with me because that's the only time that we have together without the kids screaming.

We have never bought new parts for our computers. We've always bought used or hand-me-downs. This will be a great surprise for my wife when she comes home one night and instead of seeing lag on her screen, she can actually see some decent graphics.

I am greatful for my wife and greatful that she plays games with me. I will be even more greatful if you'd help continue this little "tradition" of ours by supplying us with that wonderful video card.

Very sincerely yours,
Gary

(Sorry, I don't have a picture. Our camera is in the shop after our son dropped it at the zoo)

RCHflight

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
as you all know where i live in south florida has been hit by hurricanes well to show you a very little demonstration of what hapened i also have pics of the house. ps first time using photobucket so if i mess up you know what happened

tree double this size though you may find it hard to believe fell onto our house though the house escaped serious dammage due the the way the tree was trimed. the tree was twice this size before the hurricanes and guess who got to clean it up.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/Guitarist1717/P1000134.jpg

just a little bit of damage where the tree did hit the house.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/Guitarist1717/P1000133.jpg

my car with the rust though i cant complain got it for free. still had to pay issurance though.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/Guitarist1717/P1000136.jpg

this pic you can see it but the roof is rusted through. i will be having to take off the windshield and fiberglass it.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/Guitarist1717/P1000135.jpg

and finally the computer.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/Guitarist1717/P1000132.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/Guitarist1717/P1000131.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/Guitarist1717/P1000130.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/Guitarist1717/P1000129.jpg

I dont have anything to compete with a son being sick so if i was not in the contest i would difinately say give it to them. im still hoping though. I would just like to thank you for making the atsmophere here great. if i win i would post my 5200 just a little leverage :lol: great job guys!

zhaf

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Well you can't get any better PCI card than that... or wait yes you can there's matrox cards. But no one buys those anymore right?

And if I win (doubt... no luck lately)...

lol you and me both, buddy. I'm renowned for my terrible luck. :)
Yeah you should se my luck with airplanes... no disasters yet though ;)... only missed flights and very bad seats hehe

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
o by the way how do i post so the pics show atomatically?

Don't worry, it took me FOREVER to figure out... in fact I didn't know how to do it till like last month :lol:

All you do is go a lil something like this: . Its not too bad at all.

Here's an example, the pic of the beastly tree:

[img:5dc50f9aff]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/Guitarist1717/P1000134.jpg

Hope that helps! :wink: And good luck

zhaf

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
o by the way how do i post so the pics show atomatically?
You mean here in the forums?
Use the (but with no psaces) [ img ] enter url of the picture [ /img ]

exsample:
[ img ] http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/Guitarist1717/P1000132.jpg [ /img ]

will end up looking like this:

P1000132.jpg

paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
i cant believe that there are people out there that are not all about money. i know that if i had the oppertunity to give my old parts away i would not only does it show how much class some people have but it also gives us that cant afford the upgrades some hope that we might be able to get a upgrade of some sort.
i know that anyone that has a agp slot on there computer has entered for this card and i just want to say congrats to the lucky person that gets the card.

also if you have cable or satalite tv you can go onto g4tv and they have a show called free stuff and you can actually win free items from there.

here is a link to there site
http://www.g4tv.com/freestuff/index.html

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Hey Space1Monkey, nice to see you around! Have you gotten the new card yet...? Did I miss a thread where you were saying how amazing it was...?

Anyway, although its awesome to see PCI cards that are new, those things are EXPENSIVE!!! Please, NOBODY buy them, unless you have some crazy set of circumstances that won't allow you to invest the extra moolah into an entire system revamp.

damn lordaardvark2 you beat me to it... btw is that avatar from invader zim?

rofl. Gotcha :wink:

:lol:

And, nah, my avatar is not in fact from Invader Zim; you're close though. My avatar comes from some of Johnen Vasquez's other work... this particular gem is from a Graphic Novel called Squee, about a boy and his lil demonic teddy bear (pictured). I really like his graphic novel stuff better than Zim, because, although Zim was great, Vasquez has MUCH more creative license with his own, non-syndicated stuff, and his true genius shows because of this. Gotta love Vasquez, tho :)

bananabox

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Well i doubt anyone can beat the father to be, but we might as well try.
I am currently in college and was hoping to save money for at least a e6300 and mobo, but this plan fell through so i am just gonna keep my old Dell. People always tell me how pretty games like BF2 and COD are, but i have never been able to tell because i had been using an old fx5500 until it went up in smoke and now im stuck with onboard and its not enough to even play my games anymore.

my system specs
dell 4600
p4 3.06 ghz
1gb ram
onboard sound and video
1x40gb IDE and 1x80gb IDE

P.s. If i win i would be glad to paypal you the shipping cost since you were nice enough to host this contest.

Oh and congrats to the father to be that due date is my sisters bday

sorry for the mispelled name, but i read this post and didnt right it for another 30 minutes and thought i remembered it right

Constantine69

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
I must say, this is one of the most kind and generous thing I've seen in the forums. It is rare for someone to offer a free gift to a stranger without any ramifications. I salute you for that. :D

As for me, I am a student studying at a local county college getting ready to transfer to a 4-year University. I am not sure how I am suppose to pay for it but I dream of graduating and entering the Mechanical and Energy Conservation field that is in great demand in this era. I go to a community college in order to lessen the cost of unit/per hour for each subject as compared to a more expensive university. I was currently enrolled at in a summer class for English American Lit., but I had to drop it because I lacked the funds to purchase a book and I was behind the due date for more than two weeks.

I am currently trying to make it work between spending money for school and spending money for a living. I would greatly appreciate it if I was win this card for two reason, first I am currently saving up for the fall semester's tuition fees so I cannot afford to spend anything on luxuries. Second, I am an avid gamer and I play games online like CS:S and DOD:S. The game is choppy but I bare with what I have because of my financial situation. This card would make me truly happy if I am to be chosen by you. :)

The current specs of my aging computer is:

WinXP
AMD Athlon 2800
Abit NF7 Motherboard
512MB of Generic Ram
nVidia 6800 Vanilla
RAID 300 Watt Power Supply
200GB Hard Drive
a DVD-ROM that has a tray that won't open
a DVD-Burner, a 2nd hand gift from a friend that won't burn

I hope that you pick me and thank you if you do! If I am not picked, I congratulate the winner and thank you Wolfshadw for making another person in the world happy! :D :D :D

liquidx

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
well a bump to the thread, how much time is left? I am anxious to see who has won? And to whoever it is, Major congrats, and if you would make sure to post your card you currently have to keep this going. Someone out there might be running a lower card then you.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Wow, what a great turnout for this thread. 20+ qualifying entries, and all deserving of a visit from the upgrade fairy. Can't wait to see the results.

Pinoy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
I'm not trying to enter this contest, I've got a 6600 gt but there are people here who are more down on their luck than me.

I just wanted to say, good form Wolfshadow :trophy:
It's really rare to see somebody doing something nice for others with nothing to gain from it other than gratitude, and it makes me happy to know there are people like you still here in the world!

To all the entrants, good luck :mrgreen:

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
I'd say that Wolfshadw has a large task at hand, sifting through all our mess, as well as dealing with his other daily routines. He'll get it done, no worries. It was a good turnout, though, and good luck to all.

liquidx

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
That is true, I would think that to be a very hard decision to make. If I was trying to make that decision, I think I would have to go through the whole thread over again, write down everyone's names, current card, and why (in a couple words) they deserved it. Then compare each one on my list crossing out names until I am down to one. Because if I did it just trying to read the thread, with my memory, I would have forgot the first half of the entrants by the end....lol. Definitely would be a hard decision, and I am sure it would make you feel like you wish you had 20 cards to give away, if you have 20 entrants.

Wolfshadw

Titan
And you would be 100% correct, LiquidX. That's exactly what I'm going to do. As I do have a busy day at work today, I likely won't get to it until this evening and hopefully have a winner announced no later than tomorrow morning.

Thanks to all who entered and thanks for all the kudos. Again, they really should go to PETEvsDRM who got this whole spiel running with his first giveaway and to Space1Monkey who followed up!

The contest is now closed. No new entries will be considered.

-Wolf sends

RTSW

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
The conclusion draws near! I'm really looking forward to knowing who the lucky person is going to be.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
oh well, I told my friend about this contest. He has this old PIV 2.2Ghz with a geforce6600 and loves games so I just told him about this and I think he didnt make it :(

will have to wait til next contest