Free 7800GS - In the Spirit...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Ah, that sucks. The next cards that may be coming up are, I believe, a 6600 and a 9600... I heard people mention those... Your friend may have to wait for a bit until a superior card comes around. It may take a bit, but I'd imagine that the giving will continue here on THG. Well, at least I'd hope that it would.

liquidx

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
Well, that's fine with me...:D Having a GF4 card means that most everybody has a better card then me, so just about any card you guys give away that is AGP would be a upgrade for me.

The downside is that if I post my card up, not many people will want it. But I guess that's a plus too, means most people have better and that's always good, and the few people that would want it would make my decision easier. But I have seen a couple onboard guys and GF4MX chips on here, so it would be an upgrade to them. So if I ever do win a card, you can bet that the day i recieve the new one, you will see a massive thanks from me, and my card posted that same day.

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Just checking in guys, it's great to see more people getting into the giving spirit. 8)

Wolfshadw you've got your work cut out for you!
bxp40843.jpg

Good luck to all contestants :wink:

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Hey PETE! Good to see you checking in!! See what you've started? Man, I wish there was some uber-fantastical way that we, as forum members, could thank such noble characters as you, Space1Monkey and Wolfshadw... [too bad I suck at that kind of thing]. Thanks for showing how kind and generous the human spirit can be! Giving away expensive components to total strangers... I have nothing but respect for you three. Thanks.

liquidx

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
Well, it is possible, but the funny thing is the people that (should) be asking to be included, couldn't afford to go if it wasn't close to them, and with how wide a base the forum has I don't think it would be easy to pick a spot. But it would be awesome if it could actually happen.

Now on a more realistic note, maybe the ops can give each of these guys some kind of special name, meaning like how I am currently a journeyman....
That way they would stand out from the rest of us and be able to hold their head up high and be acknowledged for their true moral greatness. I am sure it's not easy on one's mind when they think of the financial implication of giving away a card that can easily pull a decent amount of cash. Which makes this all the more special that they have done such a thing. It also speaks well to the gaming community as a whole and makes people realize that there are still good people out there. And in this day and age with the way the world is, we need all the reminders of that we can get. So to the three of you, you have my heartfelt thanks for being so kind.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
I mean a party on the forumz, not a real-life-meeting party :lol:

I'll bring drinks! 8)

I doubt that the mods would do that, but, you never know. I'm working on my own thing...

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Hi there, I'm probably too late, but I saw this thread and it interested me.

I'm 21 and my brother is 12, we play video games and often times enjoy the same types. He has a Compaq Presario SR1230NX Desktop from about 2 1/2 years ago, and I've got my zv6000 laptop.

I'll be happy to provide pictures later on if you'd like.

The Compaq has a Radeon 9200 AGP card in it currently and 1GB of RAM. It's not a bad computer, and could be better if I could afford a new video card for it.

The reason I can't afford a new video card is because I'm in debt to my family for roughly $3500. Between helping me with an apartment, food, a car (91 Geo Prizm, they're not rich either) and things like that over the last year or so. I'm not rich, and don't really have a way to afford a nice video card. The other thing is it's not even as much for me as it is for him... I like to do things to help my family and my brother would get a great deal of enjoyment from the card.

Like I said I figure I'm probably too late to join, or enter, or whatever, but I just figured I'd throw in my information and see what you think. As I said I can provide pictures later, but right now I'm on my way out to see a doctor, which is another thing that's been running up bills for me, but is essential (sadly). At any rate, thanks for reading this. I'm excited to see how this turns out. (For whoever wins it... it'll be an exciting day).

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Sorry Pous, but the deadline is officially over. Wolfshadw has a lot of candidates to go through... maybe if you're lucky he won't see that you missed the deadline.... :lol: just kidding. But, PETEvsDRM started something real special, and before long, you'll probably see other, better-than-9200 cards being passed on like this 7800. Just keep your eyes peeled! I'd be more than happy to pass on my 9550 if it had a replacement; although it wouldn't be as much of an upgrade as the 7800 would, it would probably make a difference :)

V anyone like the new sig? V [is it bad that I replaced Malcolm X with Johnny the Homicidal Maniac?]

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
W00t !!

I made it into a sig! And I'm not being quoted as saying something stupid!!

Hey, its the least I could do :D Have you been quoted as saying something stupid? Someone had me saying, "YOU'RE NOT AS BIG A NERD AS I AM!" for a while, but got rid of it :lol:

And, Liquidx, not at all. Feel free to use it. Maybe if you do, these wonderful people will get some of the publicity and fame that they deserve :)

I'm trying to work on something better... I tried to center the "forum heroes" bit, but it didn't work out. Anyway, yeah, I'm trying another idea...

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Ahhhh that took forever, but hey, its a lot prettier. That there bees my first Userbar, took me a long time to make, but I think its better than the text version. Props to you guys! Now you're immortalized! :D (Anyone who wants it can take it)

liquidx

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
I think I will reserve that until it is my turn to officially say thank you, that way it only has one name on it, and it's that much more of a special "thank you" to whoever it is that hooks me up :D. That is pretty cool looking though, good job.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Hey, thanks! It took an embarassingly long time to make :oops: :lol:

I think that they all deserve as much thanks and publicity as they can get, they all deserve it for being such noble techies. I wanted to make the bar with their avatars and their names, but only PETEvsDRM has an avatar, so that didn't work out... but oh wellz. Its up for grabs for anyone else that wants it, tho.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Maybe the mods would agree to change their forum status to "Forum Philanthropist"

Hey Lordaardvark, do you mind if I use that tribute graphic in your sig?

edit: Just saw that you said it was free to use :)

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Not at all, MtYermom. Feel free to use it, however you like. :D

Thats a really great title for them, though. But, about the Mods, I'm not really sure how to approach them about it or anything, and I'm not sure that they read every single post that we make... I don't know how to bring it to their attention. I don't personally know the Mods, maybe they wouldn't want to do that for some reason. Anyway, if we want to take it as far as a petition, I'd be glad to sign. The only problem is: what happens in the future, when more people are giving away stuff in such a manner? Some may not want the Forumz flooded with Philanthropists. IDK. Heh. There are some different angles on the situation.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
W00t !!

I made it into a sig! And I'm not being quoted as saying something stupid!!

You know something, this is for PetevsDRM, wolf and spacemonkey. I will make my friend participate next time for sure. Just keep me updated if you make another post like this. He told me HE IS WILLING TO GIVE HIS eVGA GeForce 6600 AGP8x CARD IF HE WINS A BETTER AGP CARD IN A CONTEST LIKE THIS.

So I think if for any chance there is another contest and my friends is the winner, we will have another contest right after that one for sure ;)

PD: Hey hey, a 6600 is still a nice card ;)

Space1Monkey

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
LordAardvark2, I did post my new benchmarks in PETEvsDRM's origional thread, but I'll let you know, I love that card! Fear is so much better with this card it's not even funny. I just wish I could swing more time on the computer, mostly only able to get on for a short while after the kids are asleep.

Liquidx said:
I am sure it's not easy on one's mind when they think of the financial implication of giving away a card that can easily pull a decent amount of cash. Which makes this all the more special that they have done such a thing.

Please remember, I was the first to recieve a card from the very generous PETEvsDRM. Yes I gave my old 6600GT away, and I am very glad that I was able to help someone, but it is a lower end card anymore and I had just recieved a replacement. Thanks again PETEvsDRM! PETE and WOLF are trully showing generosity in that they are giving away QUALITY cards that still hold considerable value.